We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

Let us start off by saying, welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community! We’re so excited to have you here, and we can’t wait to start learning from you. If you haven’t read our Welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community article yet, we recommend starting there. It has a bunch of great information on how we got here and where we’re heading.
listening-graphic1.png
Our mission:
Our mission is to create a thriving community of valuable Insiders, like you, so we can closely listen and learn how Microsoft Edge can be better. We believe that having open, honest, and continued conversations with our Insider community is a great way to build a close relationship with our users.

Why do all of this? Because we want to build a browser that’s deeply grounded in your needs. Your voice is the most important piece of helping us build a better Microsoft Edge. The feedback you provide leads to meaningful conversations that may ultimately produce the new features, bug fixes, and other improvements that matter the most to you. Listening is just the beginning for us. Our true goal is to build Microsoft Edge with the voice of the Insider community as our guiding light.

Community voice

When we announced the next version of Microsoft Edge back in December, we asked a simple question: If you could change one thing about the web, what would it be?
listening-graphic2.png
We were completely humbled by the over 40k comments you’ve shared with us. That’s a whole lot of ideas. Thank you!

You tell us that you love some things about the current Microsoft Edge browser, like the smooth scrolling experience, our Fluent Design and the precision touchpad, and you hope we’ll bring those things forward into the next version too.

Some of you are frustrated with the way that sites render so differently depending on the browser you're using to view them. You also tell us that Web Standards are on the top of your mind. We hear that you want all browsers to adopt the same standards. We hear from some of you web developers that you want new capabilities added to the web platform; whether that be in CSS, HTML or JavaScript. Another top request is an improved dev tools experience.

We hear that you have strong feelings about online advertising. Some of you wish ads that pop-up would just disappear and the same for auto-playing ads. While others feel a strong desire to remove or fundamentally change how online advertising works on the web. There is concern how these advertisements enable sites to track you as you browse which feels "creepy" and "invasive."

The overwhelming majority of comments (we’re talking thousands of messages) that we have read wish for a change in the fundamental attributes of the web. Make it faster, safer, more reliable and more private. You want your browsers to have smaller memory footprints, lower battery consumption, higher rendering speed and better stability. We agree with you wholeheartedly! The attributes that you say matter most in your browsing experience are performance, privacy, and reliability. So that is where we are starting.
listening-graphic3.png
We are focusing on delivering outstanding fundamentals. Speed, stability, accessibility, compatibility, security, and privacy are always top of mind for us. We are using your comments and suggestions to guide us while we are getting the new Microsoft Edge ready for its debut.

What’s next?
In the meantime, jump in, download the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, and let us know what you think. What’s working well? Where do we need to improve? Over time, we hope to build healthy engagement and feedback loops with our community members.

listening-graphic4.png
We’re also mindful that our users have preferred ways to engage with us. Whether you view the latest information on the Microsoft Edge Insider website, enjoy direct discussions on our forum, need a personal support assistant via help (F1), share your feedback and suggestions via the smiley face, or just want to give us a shout on Twitter, we’re always listening and looking for ways to reach out wherever our users feel most comfortable and prefer to talk to us. We’re all ears!

Thank you for being here. We look forward to listening and engaging with you.

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

1,189 Replies
@Half_Penny @Elliot Kirk, @Drew1903

I'd like to be able to get rid of Groups for now. I thought that it would be a nifty feature, but it seems to be something that was started but never finished--which is fine; I'm sure that it'll be completed in due time. So, the Group 1 and Group 2 flags sit on top of tabs and make those tabs unusable. There doesn't seem to be anything you can do with them, yet. I think I figured that we would be able to work with groups of tabs, such as Open Group 1, Close Group 2, and perhaps even name each Group. But there doesn't seem to be anything in that area right now, and I can't get rid of these Group labels.

Regards,

Dan
Maybe if Edge was deleted and re-installed with a new download they would be gone. Might be worth a shot

Cheers,
Drew
Yeah, I know. I really don't want to do that, because I have it all set up with my favorites and such. I'll suffer through it until I can't, and then I'll uninstall and reinstall. Interesting point is that when I made the post, Edge C updated and the Group tags ended up taking up their own tab spaces. Now, however, they've reverted back to covering up actual tabs. (sigh)

Regards,

Dan

Hello@Elliot Kirk 

I have my own business and made a worksheet file but need help with formulas so my hours and cost can add up? like had it working but now it not, can you please help me with it?

@Dan_AI4GK 

I've done an R&R & really, I don't recall losing anything.  Plus, the fresh new install on my 'host' machine (daily driver) happily imports ALL my stuff*, no loss.  Or can deselect specific 'categories'. Once it know it's dealing with  you...

Heaps more than Favorites.

Anyway, as you like. I found R&R quick, easy & painless... but, I'm old & numb ;)

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Ramesh_Iyer 

"Nevertheless over 80% of PCs are on Windows, some on MacOS, and much less on Linux (home users)."

2 wee comments this ⬆ brought to mind, Ramesh. (1)  I've garnered the impression Linux is not for the faint of heart. & (2) Reminds of those who think & say other OSs are immune. They aren't, it's that the myth is propagated because of the smaller footprint... isn't in the criminals best interest to bother.  But, they aren't impervious.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

Yes Dan, it is true that Windows is on far more PCs (home users) than other OSs. But, I do believe that Linux having evolved from UNIX is inherently more secure than Windows is. Besides, as you said, very few home users prefer Linux over Windows, perhaps due to its refined user-friendly UI, supported 3rd party programs, etc. But, I remember having worked on Red Hat 8 on my Home PC many years ago - without any a/v s/w - and managed quite well. But, around the same time the McAfee a/v on my laptop would get disabled by some virus/trojan which possibly sneaked in thru an infected flash drive (yes, those days it was fairly common !). A friend still uses his Home PC in dual-boot with Ubuntu and says has had no virus/malware issues, ever. So, while Linux is indeed far less prevalent, maybe it's inherently more secure, and perhaps also doesn't seem worth the effort for hackers to break into Linux systems. Ditto with MacOS. Of late, Microsoft has been failing its Windows 10 users with buggy updates and fixes which open new vulnerabilities. All this contributes to the hype by a/v product firms saying it's "absolutely necessary" to have their product installed. IMO, just as Microsoft has finally embraced the open-source Chromium for Edge, someday it should adopt Linux kernel for Windows too. It might open up new possibilities, for a whole new Windows experience.

Cheers,

Ramesh

@Drew1903 @Elliot Kirk, I bit the bullet and did the R&R. Took about 3 minutes total and Edge C reopened with all the 1,000 or so tabs that had been open before I did the changeover. BTW, the Group labels still show up on top of existing tabs. If Groups isn't functional, they need to remove the ability to put tabs into groups.
Too bad it didn't work, help or change anything. I don't have those group tabs, Hell, I don't know how to create them, let alone get rid of them. I thought it might have cleared or back without them. Oh well, at least, it didn't take long.

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 @Elliot Kirk

Well, it was a good idea. Plus, I got a fresh start.

Here's how you get to the Groups thing. Right click any tab and it'll give you the option to put that tab into a new group or into an existing one. Trying to add a screenshot.

@Elliot Kirk Some function advice on tab options

1 Activate tab after mouse hovered for xxx milliseconds

2 Create a new tab or use current tab when open bookmarks, home page, search results or typed URL

@Elliot Kirk Some function advice on tab options

1 Activate tab after mouse hovered for 300 (for example) milliseconds

2 Create a new tab or use current tab when open bookmarks, home page, search results or typed URL

@Elliot Kirk @trish895 

Would you still use IWebViewControl Interface for Chromium based browser:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/api/windows.web.ui.iwebviewcontrol

I have a suggestion, is there some UserVoice page for Edge? Would love to see a download experience like Opera or Firefox, rather than the usual Chrome one. It’s way more usable…

@Elliot KirkPlease add voice search like google search on Google Chrome. Please play the online videos on the official site like on YouTube instead of playing videos on Edge/Bing's own video playing interface.

And if you can give us Google search engine as default instead of Bing search engine on Edge.

@Angad_Singh 

Hi Angad,

#1. One can voice search by talking to Cortana... it's an OS (Windows) feature not a browser issue.

#2. Yes, currently, Edge does the same thing; have to click on YouTube to go its own actual site.  But, cool suggestion.

#3. Any search engine can be set as the default. > ellipsis > Settings > Privacy & Services.  Go down to the last item listed, Address bar & click the arrow at the right. You will see, Search engine used & an arrow offering more choices.  Also, under Manage search engines you'll find a list... to add an engine to that, as it says, search that engine once & it, will, then, also, be on the list.

Cheers,
Drew 
thVY64FD02.jpg

Opera had a small demo that was released a few years ago. It was called Neon. I loved the idea behind it. It was a totally different kind of browsing experience than I have ever seen before. I downloaded it again the other day but because of no updates since 2017 I didn’t use it.

Another thing. At our company, we have an internal site that is a page of different webcam feeds. I have to use IE-11 for it as it’s the only browser that doesn’t deplete my resources. Have tried the page with edge, Firefox, chrome, opera and chromium edge. As soon as that page comes up I watch that browser use tons of my resources. Other than that, I am liking the chromium edge a lot. But like all chromium browsers, it is heavy on resources. I keep a minimum of 7 tabs open at all times. Because of multiple monitors I have used different windows for some of the tabs, but it doesn’t make a difference whether separate windows or all in one instance of edge. Resources are sky high.

When is functionality coming to be able to sign/write on PDF's like what already exists in the existing version of Edge? Until this comes, Edge Chromium can't be my default PDF program.

I've been using the Dev and Canary channels on my laptop for several months now. I really like them and look forward to see what else is coming in the future.

@Elliot Kirk Pinned tabs should be saved in case of an unexpected shutdown.  You do pin tabs for quick access and not to loss where you are on the web site. Now you keep losing it. What is made worse because for some reason the development version of Edge does not show up in the history time line.