Introducing Sleeping Tabs Experiment: Improving Memory Usage in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

Note: We are in the process of deploying this feature, so it may be a little while before you see it in your respective channel and build.

To improve memory and CPU utilization of the browser, we've developed a feature called sleeping tabs.

Early internal testing of devices with sleeping tabs has shown a median memory usage reduction of 26% for Microsoft Edge. Our internal testing has also shown that a normal background tab uses 29% more CPU for Microsoft Edge than a sleeping tab. These resource savings should result in excellent battery savings. Although individual device performance varies depending on configuration and usage, we expect the decrease in resource and battery usage to create a better browsing experience for users.

Median memory usage of Microsoft Edge based on performance data aggregated across ~13000 devicesMedian memory usage of Microsoft Edge based on performance data aggregated across ~13000 devices

Average CPU usage of Microsoft Edge based on performance data aggregated across ~13000 devicesAverage CPU usage of Microsoft Edge based on performance data aggregated across ~13000 devices

Sleeping tabs builds upon the core of Chromium’s “freezing” technology. Freezing pauses a tab’s script timers to minimize resource usage. A sleeping tab resumes automatically when clicked, which is different than discarded tabs, which require the page to fully be reloaded.

We built upon the freezing technology to create sleeping tabs. This feature allows inactive background tabs to “go to sleep,” releasing system resources after a set amount of time. These resources include both memory and CPU and can be used for new or existing tabs or other applications running on your device.

By default, we’ve set tabs to go to sleep after two hours of inactivity. If two hours isn’t right for you, you can choose a different time interval in edge://settings/system. Tabs that are asleep will fade to let you know they’ve released resources. To resume a sleeping tab, click on it like a normal tab. The tab will un-fade and your content will be there immediately. You can also add sites you never want to sleep to a block list in Settings.

gif of several tabs open, with one fading to sleep, and 7 other tabs also fadinggif of several tabs open, with one fading to sleep, and 7 other tabs also fading

With this technology, it is possible that some sites may not work as expected after they go to sleep. We have built heuristics to detect these scenarios and prevent those tabs from sleeping to keep you in your flow. We are eager to get your feedback on sleeping tabs. If you experience a compat issue, please refresh the page and let us know through Microsoft Edge by pressing Shift+Alt+I on a Windows device or going to Settings and more … > Help and feedback > Send feedback.

Sleeping tabs will be coming soon to Canary and Dev Channels [87.0.649.0]. If you see the sleeping tabs feature while browsing, please join us here on the Microsoft Edge Insider forums or Twitter to discuss your experience, or send us your feedback through the browser! If you have any questions, see our FAQ or reach out to us. We hope you enjoy this exciting new feature and look forward to hearing from you!

- The Microsoft Edge Product Team

214 Replies

@HotCakeX wrote:

@DugTan 

just installed Edge stable version 88.0.705.50

it's not enabled for me but the flag is there to activate it manually

edge://flags/#edge-sleeping-tabs

I had the flag in version 87, @HotCakeX

I know it was there and it's still there

@Eleanor_Huynh 

Thanks 

I wish Edge can do it:

First, Mark it when it sleeping 

Second, I can setting it by myself, such as one or three mins , not choose someone in many  choices.

@Rene_Gross  When you say "and it worked perfecly.", do you mean without enabling it via FLAGS?  Mine works if I enable it via FLAGS.   My issue is that I want it to work purely via Group Policy settings, and it is not.

I don't like them at all.  Please return to previous!!  

Excellent feature so far. I've done a lot of testing on different websites and am noticing from minor to some serious compatibility issues. I will keep providing feedback on Sleeping Tabs through Edge Feedback. Just be sure to build upon those feedbacks so this feature can soon be trusted by everyone and used regularly for most sites to save Memory and CPU Usage.

now I know why my tabs are faded. Well done and thankyou.

@JohnTwilley 

Hi John, mistakenly i wrote, that it works. But it did not. I think, i had set the flag for that on this computer some times ago. Today i testet again with our terminalservers. There where never set flags, It did not work! Only if i set the flag.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

"I don't like them at all. Please return to previous!! "

don't like what exactly? there is no previous state to return to, sleeping tabs feature is one of its kind.

@Aditya_Mohapatra 

"Excellent feature so far. I've done a lot of testing on different websites and am noticing from minor to some serious compatibility issues. I will keep providing feedback on Sleeping Tabs through Edge Feedback. Just be sure to build upon those feedbacks so this feature can soon be trusted by everyone and used regularly for most sites to save Memory and CPU Usage."

curious to know about those "serious" issues you are talking about.

@Eleanor_Huynh 

Hi! Do we need to click something to let the tap go into sleep mode or it automatically go into sleep mode? 

I just wanted to say for any conventional high PC this feature seems like minor performance fix! But for my Ages old Laptop with ultra low specs compared to this day this is close to 80% performance increase in browsing experience! Which says a lot about how effective feature this is especially since I am one of those people that almost never closes his tabs and hogs them all up there because I deem all of them necessary! This is great I find great results also I Don't know if this is part of the feature but I noticed pretty big performance increase when minimizing the browser too it reached 0% CPU usage also similar big margin  CPU decrease by simply having a lot of tabs too! Compared to some other browsers I remember that keep stuff in background loaded even if its not in use especially extensions type stuff.

@Eleanor_Huynh 

Sleeping tabs does not improve memory usage

When sleep tap is introduced in a device the time should also be set according to your work load. It improve the memory use and protect the device or your UCP. When it sleeps you just click on your device and your documents will be as it is before. this shows that is it the import tab to use in your settings.
Why find it usefull while its perpuse sould be used to improve or save power on your device. if not put some tabs to sleep that means it is not improving memory and it is not of good use in Microsoft Edge. It is fine when we use UCP with date because it is not changing ot its percentage usage by your Microsoft Edge.
UCP? do you mean UPS? (Uninterruptible Power Supply)

I have a question : will the tabs which have continuous high usage of network go to sleep and stop the transmission?

@JohnTwilley 

Some news: did an feedback to edge team and got this answer:

Rene_Gross_0-1611854120369.png