Top Feedback Summary for May 18

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Why, hello, Insiders! We’ve got a very quiet this week, more so than last week. With that, we’re only updating the time these items have been on the list.

Josh does talk about what all changed in this week’s update, so be sure to head over to his Change Summary to read more about what’s new this week. Have any feedback you want to make sure the team sees? Send it to us directly via the menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback.

We’ll chat at you all next week!

Here’s the updated list for this week:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Planned for May

Users can find and manage their tabs more easily by organizing them into associated groups

15 weeks

Planned for May

Allow users to turn off the “Disable developer mode extensions” notification

23 weeks

Planned for May

Users can get back to where they left off in PDF documents

23 weeks

Planned for May

Allow more top sites on the New Tab Page

63 weeks

Planned for May

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

91 weeks

Planned for May

(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab preview feature from Microsoft Edge legacy

91 weeks

Planned

Users can easily close Vertical Tabs

5 weeks

Planned

Enable search of items in Collections

11 weeks

Planned

Hide or shrink the title bar when vertical tabs are enabled

11 weeks

Planned

Edge should respect the default PDF viewer

39 weeks

Planned

Restore tabs if Edge or the OS is restarted for any reason

41 weeks

Alternative Planned
(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

91 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Enable option to match Windows display language

29 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Add ability to close tabs via double-click

58 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

91 weeks

Under Review

Enable additional options for viewing downloaded files, such as the bottom of the window

1 week

Under Review

Users can move Vertical Tabs to the right side of the screen

7 weeks

Not Planned

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

13 weeks

Not Planned

(View the discussion)

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

23 weeks

Not Planned

Edge launches with previous session’s tabs when “On startup” setting is set to “Open a new tab”

25 weeks

Not planned

(See the discussion)

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

35 weeks

Not Planned
(Read the
discussion)

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

43 weeks

Not Planned
(Read the
discussion)

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

47 weeks

Not Planned

MSA profile picture is not updating

56 weeks

And here’s the list of top “quality areas” that we’re actively working on in response to your feedback:

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

Edge should use less memory than it does

Edge should use less CPU than it does

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

Opening a new tab is too slow

Update does not always work reliably

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels.

Not Planned – We don’t currently plan to address this feedback, though we will continue to track it and reconsider our approach if needed.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated.

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

Alternative Planned - We don’t currently plan to directly address this feedback; however, we are working on addressing this in the form of a new feature.

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum.

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Spoiler

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

Users would like more theme and customization options

12 weeks

Apr 30, 2021

Some web page fonts are blurry

48 weeks

Apr 7, 2021

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

81 weeks

Apr 7, 2021

Add dictionary in PDF

31 weeks

Mar 23, 2021

Some passwords are not saved

25 weeks

Mar 16, 2021

Enable kiosk mode

16 weeks

Feb 9, 2021

Add option to remove previous search terms from the New Tab Page’s search box auto-suggestion list 

35 weeks

Feb 9, 2021

Enable vertical tabs feature

23 weeks

Jan 27, 2021

Enable customers to pin sites to Start Menu in Windows

26 weeks

Jan 27, 2021

Support two-page layout in PDF reader

32 weeks

Jan 27, 2021

Voice search on google.com doesn’t work

31 weeks

Dec 1, 2020

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

57 weeks

Dec 1, 2020

Add the ability to ink on web page content

57 weeks

Dec 1, 2020

Add "text notes" feature to PDF files

27 weeks

Nov 17, 2020

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System
(See the discussion)

65 weeks

Nov 17, 2020

Enable customers to pin Favorites menu to the side of the screen

6 weeks

Nov 3, 2020

Make Edge available on Linux

(Download here)

39 weeks

Oct 20, 2020

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store
(Learn more)

60 weeks

Oct 15, 2020

Enable automatic generation of strong passwords

13 weeks

Sept 15, 2020

Enable navigation of PDF files via table of contents

31 weeks

Sept 15, 2020

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

55 weeks

Sept 9, 2020

Provide different options for sorting favorites
(See the discussion)

51 weeks

Aug 11, 2020

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge
(See the alternative)

50 weeks

Aug 5, 2020

Highlighter tool for PDF files

21 weeks

July 15, 2020

Mouse cursor sometimes disappears

(Read the discussion)

11 weeks

June 24, 2020

Support read aloud of PDF files

20 weeks

June 9, 2020

Edge cannot find devices to cast media (Learn more)

16 weeks

May 19, 2020

Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close

21 weeks

Apr 7, 2020

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

33 weeks

Apr 7, 2020

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page (Learn more)

32 weeks

Mar 31, 2020

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers (Learn more)

32 weeks

Mar 31, 2020

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page (Learn more)

32 weeks

Mar 31, 2020

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

19 weeks

Mar 19. 2020

Some users are unable to access any web page

3 weeks

Mar 11, 2020

Favorites sync issues, including sync not working, deleted favorites reappearing, and favorites being duplicated

13 weeks

Mar 4, 2020

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

17 weeks

Feb 26, 2020

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

26 weeks

Feb 21, 2020

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

24 weeks

Feb 21, 2020

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

20 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

22 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Enable search in the extensions store

17 weeks

Dec 19, 2019

The taskbar icon is not updating to the new Microsoft Edge logo

1 week

Nov 14, 2019

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

12 weeks

Nov 14, 2019

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

1 week

Nov 4, 2019

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Nov 4, 2019

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

11 Replies
Any specific Microsoft Build sessions that we should be looking out for this week, as it pertains to the Edge browser or apps?

@MissyQ 

"Allow users to turn off the "Disable developer mode extensions" notification"

I'd rather an option to turn-off everything developer-related: like 98-99% of the world, I'm not a Web-Dev and have no-need to ever use "View page source" or "Inspect" in the right-click menu

"Allow more top sites on the New Tab Page"

Even-better, why not allow users to choose a URL for the New Tab page?  Currently you can only do this via GPOs (in an enterprise setting) or via a third-party extension (everyone else)

"Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website"

Doesn't this already exist?

("..." menu > Settings > Cookies and site permissions > Media autoplay > Limit)

"Restore tabs if Edge or the OS is restarted for any reason"

On Windows, this should respect the "Automatically save my restartable apps when I sign out and restart them after I sign in" setting (Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options)

"Add ability to close tabs via double-click"

Given how long that discussion has grew, I'd say just add this already.  As long as it ships off-by-default I see no issue: only people who actually want to use it will turn it on

"Enable additional options for viewing downloaded files, such as the bottom of the window"

Edge currently is inconsistent here: in a regular window, the new Download UI is used; in a pop-up window, the old UI is used.  Pop-up window downloads should defer back to their parent and use the modern UI in my view...

@MissyQ What actually happened with the Tab Scrolling Feature from Chromium 90 or 91? Is it not coming to Edge? It is actually a very useful feature as it not only allows to make the Tabstrip scrollable but also lets you define a minimum width for Tabs.
In my opinion it makes it much easier to handle windows with an huge amount of tabs without switching to vertical tabs.

"Warn on close" for the latest stable build ????????????????????????????????????????

@Omar-OsYou can find it under edge://flags/#edge-ask-before-closing-multiple-tabs

I want the official option in settings, not the experimental features in flags!!
What's so hard about adding it like in the Dev build ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

@MissyQ(who never responds :( )

Why does the "Allow more top sites on the New Tab Page" keep getting punted? It's beginning to seem like this feature is never going to get implemented and/or it isn't a high priority for the Edge team. A lot of people have been upset about this one since it's something that works out of the box with Chrome, Firefox and now Brave:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/msedge_search-msedge_win10/can-i-add-more-th...

Case in point I have switched to using Brave for most of my browsing because I don't want to use an obnoxious extension that adds too many unnecessary features to the browser. This is becuase currently the only way to customize the new tab page beyond what Edge provides is to use an extension. It's a bit frustrating, because I just want to be able to have more than 6-8 sites to put on my new tab page. I only really use Edge now for work and/or getting MS reward points. It's a shame because I otherwise think the Edge new tab page is the best one with the bing daily images and other customization features. :(

I doubt you are ever going to respond to this, since I am guessing you either A) Don't know B) Don't care (pardon my bluntness) or C) Never look at these responses. If you do however see this and do happen to have some way to shed some light on this one, it would be appreciated.

I agree, the Microsoft Staff who manage this don't reply very-often... makes you wonder why bother sometimes! And many of the very-active users here usually just advise you to do a "Send Feedback" from within Edge, rather than post here anyway. I do wonder sometimes why they bother to have sites like this (or UserVoice) when they rarely bother to reply to users...

@StephenWhiteD3G Hey, there! I do apologize for the radio silence in these updates, I'd like to provide a bit of insight into why that is.

I work across these Insider forums, two subreddits on Reddit, and Twitter for MSEdgeDev and my own handle. I'm sure you can understand that's a lot of information I'm gathering and sharing with the team by myself. I do have others like our new CM Ben and Josh who help out, however they each have their own respective spaces, too. Add in the weekly updates for the you've been updated page and the feedback updates, and I can get pretty busy. ;)

That being said, I see email responses every time someone posts on these and route them to the proper owner, if warranted. If they are questions like you are asking here, I do my best to get back to people but I look to do that only when I have answers I can actually provide. To answer your specific question, I'm not an engineer and have no information on the status of this item other than what is on this list. If I am not responding, it's more because I don't have an update to share. A good portion of these status update requests get the answer of "we have nothing to share at this time". I know people do not want to see that every time they ask (others have told me in the past when that's the only answer they get), so I simply ask that users keep an eye out on these updates for whenever I have something new to share from the team. I get it, that sounds like a non-answer, however it's the best way to ensure you know the latest status for this. If you haven't spotted it yet, we have a public road map now where you can also keep an eye out to see when this will be implemented (though I don't see this item on that list just yet).

Know that we're working to ensure these posts are better responded to (we are watching even if we're not responding), however it's going to take a bit more shuffling and time to work out the details. I hope this is understandable, and we'll keep you all updated on who's working on what and where once we have more on that. :)

Missy Quarry (she/her/hers)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Actually you should do both. Send feedback from within Edge via the feedback button and post here in these forums. Posting in these forums will help others that might have your same issues and when they are replied to from the Team, they will see the solution/answer too. It also takes the "Am I the only one" out of it..

Hope this helps some...
Dennis5mile
@MissyQ

Thanks for your thorough and honest response. I really do appreciate you taking the time to provide insight onto why things have seemed quiet lately.