create a master template with insrtable sections with prefilled lists to select to create docs easy

Brass Contributor

I need to create a word template for a fillable document with pre-outlined sections and structure for  quick document  creation for each job we do.

The document is a JSA (Job Safety Analysis and set up) the outline of the document will have the following sections

Required Tools and supplies for jobsite"

then have a list of some sort of any and all tools and supplies we have and use so you can pick the items needed for this specific job and it stays structured on the document every time.. example : (5 gal drums, screw driver, shop vac, hammer, etc) so 

the next section would be PPE Required

training required (list of various trainings needed for specific job site example : Confined Space entry, LOTO, Fork Lidt, Respiratory,)

engineering controls (supervisor tasks, to dos, processes et

job site hazards 
clickable hazards for the following categories with all relevent info for the main hazards and then ability to add new custom hazards

-chemical hazards
(potential hazard, task/steps to do to avoid, consequences of hazard)

-safety hazards

enviromental hazards

Before and end of job tasks

finally it would be saved and renamed and printed for our employees to check off any sections that require checkboxes such as supplies needed then can fill in anything on document during job and be turned in to office once complete.

How can I achieve creating this template and what controls/fields/document properties / form controls etc are required and how to i do it ?

Attached is a sample JSA for reference 

5 Replies

@Amber1023 

For the simplest methods, although not necessarily the most elegant methods, consider saving your separate parts as AutoText or some other Building Blocks.

Then perhaps use one or more Building Blocks Gallery Content Controls would be useful. https://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/autotextautocorrect.htm#BBGalleryContentControl You can even save such Content Controls as Building Blocks themselves. You would be able to insert such a menu Content Control using the AutoComplete feature of Word.

=======================

The absolute simplest method is to have everything in a single document and let people delete what is not needed.

=======================

Anything else will require programming and macros. Many environments will not allow use of macros. This will not be simple to design or maintain, but if done well, can be very easy to use.

A simple macro solution may be to use Boiler - Insert a selection of documents by Graham Mayor, MVP .

Beware of using the perfectly good and understandable term "Master" when searching for help about Word. That is likely to lead you to the problematic Master Documents "Feature" in Microsoft Word.

thankyou for your reply.

The problem with saving it all and then deleting is it reformats the structure of the sections.
Based on the template my boss currently uses the various sections are added using a text box and they auto adjust their size and sometimes stretch across multiple pages then we need to try to adjust the sizing to fit with the other text boxes and then one box ends up getting deleted it takes forever to format it to the right sizes to ideally keep it on 2 pages. having all the various info on 1 document that can be deleted would have way too much to delete

@Amber1023 

I'm sorry to tell you that your boss is doing things wrong, at least for Word.

Text boxes in Word can be handy but they are also problematic and can cause document corruption.

I use them for a few things but generally use Frames or other features instead.

Frames and Textboxes in Microsoft Word

It may be that you are not talking about the kind of Text Box that I am talking about. Text boxes cannot extend across multiple pages, nor can Frames. It is possible you are talking about a (single-cell) Table.

You may want to look at this recent question on the Microsoft Answers site and the responses:

How do I make a template letter auto-populate when I check specific paragraphs from a list?

Also, Word has a jargon term "Section" which is different in meaning from the standard English-language meaning of that term. In Word jargon, it indicates a formatting chunk in Word rather than a logical piece of a document.

I’m well aware that things are being Wrong my job is to find the solution and create it except for I don’t know about all these different features and I’m usually a Google user

Just the best way to lay this out and set it up so it doesn’t screw up all the formatting and change the sizing of everything to expense extends across six pages versus the two we’re trying to keep it on

@Amber1023 

Please, read the links I've given you.

This may seem like it should be simple. It is not.

Exact terms are important in communication and Google Docs is not Word.

If you are expected to do this, you need to understand Word.

Here is one more link for you. Start with it.

Basic Concepts of Microsoft Word - from Shauna Kelly

That is a short series of tutorials. Reading it will save you immense time and frustration.