SOLVED

Hyper-V role on a Windows server 2022 domain controller

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone, I'm going to replace a Windows server 2012r2 with a new Windows server 2022.

I have a small LAN, the old server is the only AD DC, and I installed SQL Server and others applications on the same machine.

On the new server 2022, I would like to add Hyper-V role to install SQL Server and the other applications into a VM, but I read on the Internet that it is not possible adding the Hyper-V role into a Domain controller.

Is it true? Do I really need to setup two VMs?
Any suggestion would be very appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Belloni G.E.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by belloni_ge (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Well I wouldn't say impossible, but it certainly is not recommended. For one the multi-homing will always cause no end to grief for active directory DNS. Better option is to install the hyper-v role (as only role) on host. Then stand up separate virtual machines for the domain controller and other various roles and applications.               

Thank you very much for your help.
I will follow your suggestion.
Giuseppe

@AakonSupport glad to hear, please don't forget to mark helpful replies best response.    

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by belloni_ge (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Well I wouldn't say impossible, but it certainly is not recommended. For one the multi-homing will always cause no end to grief for active directory DNS. Better option is to install the hyper-v role (as only role) on host. Then stand up separate virtual machines for the domain controller and other various roles and applications.               

View solution in original post