SOLVED

Windows 11 sound problem

Copper Contributor

since i upgraded to windows 11, my laptop has no sound. I was trying update and reinstalling my sound driver but its still not working.

104 Replies

@HenryYang im facing the same issue. It was temporarily solved in a windows update but last night it is back with another update. I thing this damaged the left speaker of my laptop.

I have an ASUS ROG STRIX desktop and I updated to windows 11 last week. Recent updates- I lost the speakers. I have a NVidia graphics card that I have my speaker connected to (HDMI) and I am able to use my Bluetooth headset. Everything Audio - on my computer is just gone. Its really odd that even the drivers are null. I did a reset twice LOL- still its the same result. I called a computer repair ship they advised to reinstall the drivers. I feel better that I did not break my computer or at least I don't think I did. It was mentioned these problems started with yesterday's updates. I will have to support that since my (speaker icon) out of the blue just went away.
That does not sound good at all. I stopped resetting it since there are multiple people having the same issue. I reached out to ASUS support and did a complete scan on my computer and to prevail - No issues found. I noticed that with the Windows 11 update - they hid alot of stuff like AppData , - so I am curious if something conflicted with an update where it corrupted certain files.
My system no longer recognized (speakers) just the speakers that were plugged into my graphics card (speakers are built into the monitors) - its just like the whole thing vanished after last nights update.
Aghaz , I took your advice and reset my system. Still nothing about the (speakers) that would normally be there. I am glad it worked for you !
Ahbinav_937 as crazy as this sounds I am totally going to try this !! I reset twice already to no prevail.

@Ron Willsher  i have the same on asus, afther update to windows 11 sometimes the sound work sometime doesnt work... in zoom and microphone... 

amsacipriano_0-1635239891326.png

@amsacipriano 

I too have the audio problem in Windows 11.

Yesterday upgraded to Windows 11. No problems after the update.

After that, 2 updates were installed KB5006746 and KB5005537 and after the reboot, the bluetooth audio is gone. More specifically my "Logitech BT audio adapter" is no longer recognized as an audio device and my "QCY-T5" (which i use for teleconf) does connect and all seems fine (volume bar is showing output, etc..) , but no sound is coming out of the speakers.

This is very annoying because I really need both to work from home!

Would be nice if we had a Reply for Microsoft

Found a fix: If you've tried everything with the software and it doesn't seem to work, then try this: Unplug all the cables from the PC/laptop. Press and hold the power button for about 30-60second. Wait a few minutes. Connect the cables and turn the PC/laptop on. PS: The problem seems to do something with residual power that is stored in the device hardware. So disconnecting power and using that power up solves the issue lol.

I solved the problem!!!!! after insisting a lot! I had the idea to remove the device from the control panel, the microphone plus the realtek audio! and removed the drivers. After that, windows didn't install or detect, I downloaded the realtek driver, installed it, the devices were added to the system and the problem ended!
after insisting a lot! I had the idea to remove the device from the control panel, the microphone plus the realtek audio! and removed the drivers. After that, windows didn't install or detect, I downloaded the realtek driver, installed it, the devices were added to the system and the problem ended!

@amsaciprianoI removed my card from MB , rebooted un installed all software . powered off replaced card power on reboot , installed software  and still don't work :sad:

Even done complete reinstall of Win 11 from USB :facepalm:

that worked for me, thanks! TBH really disappointed that none from Microsoft replied in this topic, when so many people has this problem.

I turned off my laptop (Asus Zenbook Duo), unpluged all the other devices from it like mouse, keyboard, screens and waited for about 60s. I press power button without any devices connected and it magically worked!

Yesterady it was the same for me, but somehow I managed to reinstall drivers and it worked after 30 minutes of fighting. Today nothing helped except above. 2 days in a row, same shit...
Hello everyone, I have the same problem with my Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII. Realtek drivers are just not working. Microphone works, but speakers aren't. When uninstalling the drivers, my speakers actually work with the default generic HD Audio Drivers, but funnily enough the mic stops working and outputs garbage (but a USB microphone works). I can also hear audio through a USB DAC when the drivers are installed. I've tried uninstalling drivers and installing again, but to no avail. I hear some people here reinstalling from the cloud/local with some success. I don't know how to do that, can someone provide some steps to do it? Microsoft really needs to address this issue, we are being ignored on this thread. Sound is really important right now when people are working from home, like me. Maybe the real fix is just to revert to Windows 10.
JUST INSTALL YOUR WINDOWS AGAIN THROUGH BIOS .( WHILE INSTALLING THE WINDOWS DELETE THE PREVIOUS ONE AND THE ITS ALL PARTITIONS LIKE RECOVERY. AND THE OTHER ONE)

@HenryYang I too encounter speaker problem. But today, I just realized that the sound on my speaker is gone when I plugged in my Boya BY-M1 external microphone. On Windows 10, a window usually popped up asking me to choose the type of input that was plugged in to my laptop (headphones, headset, or mic in). I usually selected mic in and I can use the external mic as an input device and the sound would come out from the built in speaker. However, on Windows 11 this option is gone and I don't know how to make it appear again. Windows 11 seems to be treating all devices plugged into the audio jack as a headset.

Tried googling but cannot find a thread about the same problem anywhere. So not sure if it's just me. 

My laptop is asus zenbook duo with realtek audio chip. 

Reinstall from Cloud or Via a USB did not fix it for me .
July 31 2021 was my first post on this problem during Insider builds , now on Correct normal version 21H2 install on the 16-10-21 and Still no fix

@HenryYang 

OK, I found a solution that works for me. After reinstalling drivers, I disabled Audio Enhancements. My speakers and mic started working properly after that. The way to get there is:

1. Control Panel
  2. Hardware and Sound
  3. Sound
  4. On the Playback tab, find the speakers that aren't working
  5. Select it and then click the Properties button
  6. Go to the Advanced Tab
  7. Make Sure "Enable Audio Enhancements" is not checked.

This did the trick for me. You might need to do that for your mic as well. My speakers and mic are fully working with the Realtek drivers. Hope this helps some of you.

Ok, I have worked this out... I have a Dell XPS 7590 and this was driving me crazy... All of the advice below, although helpful on a very basic level, is unlikely to fix this for the majority, as it is still a relatively new issue, and the suggested solution is limited based on installation files already being locally available on your laptop or in the microsoft store.

What you need to do is go to the drivers and updates page of your laptop manufacturer. Easy to find with a quick online search.

In the case of Dell, it gave me the options to search my computer for missing updates and then enabled you to download anything key that was missing. This did not initially include audio drivers, but there is also an option for manually searching their available installation files/drivers.

I typed in sound and it came up with 5 or so files for realtek, all of which I installed. 10 minutes and a couple of restarts later, sound was back in action.

One thing to bear in mind - Make sure when searching you change the operating system to Windows 11, as the default is Windows 10.

Hope that helps!