Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.26052.1100 (ge_release) Install error - 0xc1900101

Brass Contributor

My computer simply won't update to the newest Windows 11 Insider Preview.

Device name: DESKTOP-O4BECGJ
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5980HX with Radeon Graphics 3.30 GHz
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB (15.4 GB usable)
Device ID: A51A9A96-3A94-4F0D-924D-4DD3F3645DE4
Product ID: 00342-20723-36114-AAOEM
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch: No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition: Windows 11 Home Insider Preview
Version: 23H2
Installed on: 2/‎8/‎2024
OS build: 26040.1000
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.26040.1000.0

Every time I go to install this update, my computer freezes at startup, then after many minutes of being frozen I will just get the Green Screen of Death that says ":( Your Windows Insider Build ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." Once the computer does restart, the update gets undone.

Another thing I'd like to add is I tried running the Windows Update troubleshooter and it says "An error occurred while troubleshooting: A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting. Troubleshooters have moved and this tool will be retired. Learn more."

Package ID: WindowsUpdateDiagnostic

Path: Unknown

Error code: 0x803C010A

Source: Engine

User: DESKTOP-O4BECGJ\maste

Context: Elevated

103 Replies

@masterOmuppets32285 
Same here. Update.Error. Reboot. Rollback to previous version

Seems to be related to AMD and BIOS TPM, but unsure.

@masterOmuppets32285 So after doing some research it apppears that the issuse stems from one or 2 issues. For one run ddu to delete your amd drivers including the windows pre-installed ones. Then pause your windows updates. After that go to amd and install both your gpu and chicpset drivers. 

Another thing i did was I disabled all my personal services in msconfig. Do win+r type msconfig go to services, hide all microsoft services, and click on disable all after update no need to restart.

@tygames it's not our problem to fix by disabling things or driver removal it's ms job to fix it so it works. I could possibly do lots of things to fix it but it is supposed to work on any computer and configuration for all users which means it's ms problem not the user 

@4tune8 Yes I read all these comments and I kept thinking in the back of my mind how in the past windows would purposely install faulty drivers for and processors that would cause tons of graphical issues like flickering screen, and crashing. So I ran ddu and deleted my old drivers then I prevented windows from updating and installed both my GPU and chipset drivers from the and website to replace the previous ones. Now to get your chipset drivers you have to know which model cpu you have and if you’re on desktop you have to to know which mobo you have 

Also I forgot to mention that I went to settings about advanced pc settings hardware then to device installation settings and clicked no which also prevents windows from installing replacement drivers

Same issue as everyone else.  Install freezes and then on retry freezes again.  Then goes into recovery mode.

Not that it helps much, but I have the very same issue here. Install reboots a few times and when you'd expect the final pass, it rolls everything back. Then it's Install error = 0xc1900101 and a [Retry] button, which actually repeats the same process.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D.  Same Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.26052.1100 (ge_release) Install error - 0xc1900101.

Is my CPU/MB too old???

Same problem by me, with build 26052 and also new 26058.

At least MS added a known issue to new build here: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2024/02/14/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-260... (not listed in 26052):

[NEW] We are investigating an increase of reports of insiders rolling back when attempting to install the latest build (with error code 0xC1900101)

My config: Ryzen 5800x, Asus TUF x570 Plus, 32GB, RX6700XT.

I can confirm the still persistent 0xC1900101 issue for the new 26058 build for an intel 13600KF
I had this error today, I turned off HDR in the display options on the second try. And I installed it.
I don't have HDR turned on and it still fails to install!!
Because I wanted a piece of mind, I restore my computer and re install the windows 236200 preview build. Once restore, i went to the update windows and instructed it to install 26058.1100. 15 min later restart. As soon as it restart, it will not post, and it rolls back with the error you are stating.
I have read ms is working on this. its not the processor at it 11th gen Its been running windows 11 dev channel for years

@masterOmuppets32285 
I have a Ryzen 9 5900 HX (it is a Cezanne board for AIO and Laptops - mine is a Miniforums AIO) with 32 GB RAM.
Updating from 23xxx to 26052 it's been one of the worst experiences of update I ever had with Microsoft.
If it may be of some use, the neverendingly update of my Ryzen that at 80% decided to stop progressing, requested a fresh install (from a USB dongle) of the 23xxx DEV Build.
Then I installed the AMD chipset (for the TPM and other AMD proprietary files), the Adrenalin 24.1.1 and nothing else (be excepted for the MS Store library list).
Then I launched the 26052/8 update being sure that Windows Security updates and .NET framework updates had been installed and Windows rebooted.
A couple of hours (a madness with a Ryzen 9 with only a list of apps from the Store) and I won: I had the 26052 installed.
Then I discovered that an enormous bug with VPNs started a new nightmare: if you are curious and you'll succeed to install 26052 or 26058 read my last reply to this thread (Re: VPN fix for Insider's build - Page 2 - Microsoft Community Hub). Hope that a cumulative update or a new build in the 26000 series will soon resolve this problem.
Back to update, on Ryzen a Fresh Reinstall and the Chipset and drivers update from AMD Drivers and Support | AMD solved the problem.
Same happened on my Skylake ASUS notebook (i7 - 16 GB Ram). After 2 days hanging at 80% install and 20% reboot, I did the same.
Fresh install, hyper update of drivers (overall TPM) and then a reboot and let Windows Update does its job. 26052 Took 8 hours. 26058 did it dramatically faster.
Have a good luck.
And, of course, since we're now in 24H2 (read Windows 12 embryo) if you're in DEV, you may decide to switch to Canary. All DEV tools are in Canary, too. 

The same here .... Z390-A PRO - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs) - RAM 32GB ...
I also am getting the same error:
Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.26058.1100 (ge_release) Install error - 0xc1900101

Interestingly, Microsoft has not pulled this patch yet. So, it must work for most users that need this patch.

It has been almost a month now since this error appeared. So, Microsoft's internal tools have not determined the problem, and Microsoft does not know how to fix the error.

Either way, Microsoft should immediately pull the patch or post a workaround.

Most disappointing!

Device name DESKTOP-DVP31ME
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.8 GB usable)
Device ID FFD9A1C6-D3D7-4659-A7FB-D8AB09131385
Product ID 00330-52994-62515-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎1/‎23/‎2024
OS build 23619.1000
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.23619.1000.0

Thanks, but you should not have to take 8 hours of your life. Microsoft needs to be proactive and give you a workaround. Yes, what you did "worked," but there might be a simpler solution.
Thank you Stefania, your persistence led to success. Like some others I'll wait for the next release.

@Stefania Castelli 

I updated my AMD graphic card driver to the latest version. But, no joy for me.