SOLVED

Windows 11 taskbar labels

Iron Contributor

I was eager to install the official Windows 11 release today, however upon reading first I noticed that ungrouping taskbar icons / showing labels is not available anymore in Windows 11.

Why the heck would you remove such a useful feature? This is the only thing preventing me from installing Windows 11. Will this feature come back?

Might as well stick with Windows 10 until it sees its return (if ever). Solving this with third party tools is a no go.

126 Replies

@Niko_V You can get this back by installing ExplorerPatcher, you can download it from the official GitHub site here

Completely agree. Windows 11 needs to use taskbar labels like Windows 10 did. We need it for work and private use as well. The above post was dated back to Oct 2021. In Aug 2023 the issue still has not been solved!

@drlightman 

It's not that people do not speak up, it's that MS doesn't give a rat's **bleep** about the public or their needs. Haven't you noticed that all they have been trying to do since Window 7 is "make it pretty" (even if it is not functional)? Look at the Office pack: Excel has been lacking some direly needed fuctions that Lotus 123 had (and could be implemented), removed others that were useful, and hid a bunch of them, regardkess if how much people complained opening tickets, etc. And Office 365, how many functions is it missing because it is web-based? How many icons can you fit on the QAT compared to Office 2010? Why, because it looks prettier? They have the insider program just to make believe that they listen... just to fool people into thinking that they care. In the end, they do whatever they want, releasing and selling (not cheaply) software that we are relatively forced to use (unless the world changed to Macs or Ubuntu or...?). And that "being forced to use" is exactly the reason why they don't give a rat's **bleep**. $$$$$.

Finally, it's been back. Check your settings, people!

Unfortunatelly it's still useless. Each label adjusts to it's label title length -> Each label is of different size. When the title shortens the label shortens as well, but if the title prolongs again the label stays short and therefore unreadable.

MS: Why use working functionality from the past or use brain while designing new one or at least testing it before release?

@Niko_V 

My problem is I HATE that the labels are required. And there is no longer an option for small icons. I have had 10 or more windows open at a time and really prefer to hover over the icon to get the one I want.

Not happy you can't make the taskbar taller for two rows.

Not sure why they took away the options and gave us only 3. Still trying to figure out how to make it work. I'm not nearly as savvy as @bentobox to do what they did, so I really want to have more options.

And on top of it, eventually they'll get rid of Windows 10 and I'd have to move forward anyway.