Edge > Report this Ad: does little to nothing when used

Copper Contributor

'Report this Ad' doesn't seem to do much of anything.

Repro with all updates and fresh reboot on Windows Surface Laptop: 

1) Open MS Edge start page, there should be plenty ads shown to test

2) Choose an ad you dont want to see. Pick one you can remember like 'Top Credit Card for 2022'

(note: four radio buttons are shown, though this experience may vary?)

3) Select: 'Not Interested in this Ad', then click Submit

4) Close Edge, then reopen it - to be super sure your feed is reloaded

5) Look for Ad that you reported

Results: Ad 'Top Credit Card for 2022' is displayed, often 2-3 times on the same page

Expected: User reported ads should NOT be shown. 

No limit to the number of ads reported is ever mentioned, so please dont try that excuse.

Either your code doesnt work, or you have provided a feature that is misrepresented.

I have tested all four radio button selections, and found them all to mostly behave the same, as if they are just there to augment the search personalization algorithm (at best)

Please fix, and perhaps describe *somewhere* how you intend them to behave. When I say 'I am not interested' I dont expect to see the same ad again and again and again. Even worse when it really is misleading or inappropriate! 

Chris

10 Replies
Facts.
I've reported one particularly awful ad in every single way possible for days yet every time I open the new tab page, that same ad is there at least once, and sometimes two or three times.
Ridiculous.

Well, I guess I have my answer (and that is, NO, reporting doesn't do anything). I have an ad that shows up all the time. Sometimes in several places on the page at once. I've done everything I can (settings, remove all cookies, etc.) and they still show up. All the time. Even saying 'block this ad' in adblocker does nothing. It's like those activities make it show up even more.

I've given up. The primary (only?) culprit was the Edge new tab. So, I've switched to Google News and a blank new tab.
By the way, I came a hair away from switching to Chrome (I did actually but then figured out how to make the change I mentioned above).

@Chris_Benson I agree- it does absolutely nothing to report anything. Every time I sign on I am plagued with repetitive ads showing disgusting old people's feet! They show up every other line!! I repeatedly report them as "inappropriate" or "repetitive" but they still keep popping up! It's kind of nauseating when you are trying to check up on things online and you happen to be eating lunch! If I wanted to look at old people's disgusting feet all day I would just leave my own shoes and socks off !!!

Yup see the same Ad 7 times on one page every time i open my browser. its disgusting that there is nothing we can do to stop it. I had to change my home page.

@Chris_Benson  

Hi everyone, I recommend you open the help and opine in Edge ( Alt+Shift+I ) this is a good place to reach out to the Microsoft engineering team with feedback. :)

I have the exact same issue when attempting to report an ad.  It seems the more I report the Nike ad the more it shows up on screen.  I don't think the code was intended to work as represented.  In fact, I think that Microsoft has misrepresented the functionality of its code while it does the opposite of what consumers are led to believe.  I am on board for any lawsuit against Microsoft for misrepresentation....

@deejay9811 

Exactly the same issue here. I'm getting bombarded for weeks with an advert for a book I already bought. No matter how many times I say I'm not interested / seen multiple times, I only have to scroll down and it's repeatedly there. Even sometimes shows 3 times in the top news feed. What a joke. Getting very irritated

If you have an ad blocker installed, click on the Microsoft Start button in the top left corner of the screen and it will open an ad-blocked version of the site. It will look like Swiss cheese with holes where those ads used to be.