BUG - Start menu on Secondary monitor

Copper Contributor

I have 2 monitors + my laptop screen. 

Issue: When I hit start on a secondary monitor and try to search just by typing "notepad" it closes the start menu. 

Expected Behavior: Secondary monitors should work like the primary monitor if you hit the start menu and start typing it will show related apps. 

Workaround: always use primary monitor to open apps . :( 

(NOTE even clicking in the type here to search on a secondary monitor closes the start menu)

4 Replies

@TimmyB77 

I had this exact problem, I managed to fix this by going to taskbar settings and turning off "show taskbar on all displays" and then turning it back on. Hopefully someone else can explain a more concreate fix but this is what worked for me.

Since when this problem started?
Did you observe this behavior in the latest build?

Win+X was appearing on 2nd monitor. Same solution worked thanks.

Although you have to click not just Win but Win+X before switching 'Show taskbar on all displays' back on, and even then it seems to show on whichever screen was last interacted with.
I like taskbar on both screen but wish the Start menu would just work on the primary screen whether it appears on the 2nd.

Create a new user account on your computer and see if the issue persists when using the Start menu on the secondary monitor with the new account. This can help determine if the problem is user-specific.