Programs cannot be started

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone,

I've had the problem on the main computer for a few weeks (roughly 2 months),
that Windows starts normally, I can then also start programs normally and work in them,
A few minutes later I cannot start any more programs, but I can work normally in programs that have been started.

No matter which icon I click, whether under Windows programs, taskbar, desktop, nothing happens,
also shutdown, restart, CTRL+Alt+Del. do not work, the task manager does not start either
Even the power button (as a shutdown) does not work, only a reset works or stops completely with the button off.

I then looked at what was installed last, here was "Microsoft Edge WebView2 runtime", it worked for some time, uninstalling it immediately during Windows start.
But keeps reinstalling.
Every once in a while everything works normally, even now after I haven't been there for 4 weeks...
started, everything normal, the next day again the same.

I also suspected G-Data Security because it worked again after uninstalling and reinstalling, but only for a few days.

I mean before the whole thing started, there was an "update" from Windows, I don't know what exactly, definitely don't switch off the message.....

I exclude hardware and specific software because I've had exactly the same thing since yesterday
on my gaming PC, first the message do not switch off and then exactly the same
after a few minutes after the start, no more programs can be started.

Does anyone have an idea what's wrong? Or even better how to fix it?

Thanks

greeting

AingTii

2 Replies
Hi AingTii,

Please try this action plan
- First, make sure "Fast Startup" is disabled
- Command Prompt: sfc /scannow
- Command Prompt: DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Reboot your machine
I advise you to boot your PC into Clean Boot and see if the problem persists?
Have a look at:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-...