Tech Community Live: Windows edition
Jun 05 2024, 07:30 AM - 11:30 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Unable to add Brother printer / Registration timed out

Brass Contributor

Has anyone seen issues adding a Brother printer to Universal Print?

I purchased a MFC-L5700DW to use Universal Print.

I've authorized the "Brother Universal Print Hardware Client" as a Global admin, and it seems to have solid permissions:

NicholasSemenkovich_0-1674152276199.png

I've updated the printer to the latest firmware: Main: ZV2212051025 SUB1: 1.56

Registration seems to succeed on Azure's side -- registering with a Global admin (& Print admin):

NicholasSemenkovich_2-1674152396094.png

But the printer simply reports it "timed out" every time:

Error
Registration timed out. Please try again.
(ECODE:0x01,0x32000003,-98,0)

NicholasSemenkovich_1-1674152296266.png

Has anyone seen this?

24 Replies

One more here impacted by the same issue and keen to find a solution.  

@mps1_mpslegalsupport 

Update:
The rollout for temporary connectivity has completed. If you are encountering issues with registering new printers or printer connectivity to Universal Print, please post a reply.

Thanks everyone for your patience.
Hello Jimmy,

All our printers on all offices worldwide are now able to receive print jobs and also tried to enroll new one and completed successfully.

Thanks and next time keep us informed before making any changes that affect users.

@Jimmy_Wu 

Additional information on the printer configuration required during this workaround period (Feb 02, 2023 -> ??).

The Brother MFC printer setting "TLS Settings > TLS Protocol (Client)" must be set to the default value of (TLS 1.0/1.1/1.2) to successfully collect print jobs from the Universal Print Services. We find that setting this value to "TLS 1.2" will cause the connections to fail and jobs to remain stuck in the "Pending" or "Processing" state in the UP dashboard.

-Chris

Thank-you for this additional information. I will pass this to my contact within Brother.