SOLVED

SharePoint - Creating Hub Site issues

Iron Contributor

Hi, 

I'm trying to register a hub site, after being unsuccessful previously as the targeted release may not have reached our organisation at the time.

Today, when I register a site I get the following error: "The requested operation is part of an experimental feature that is not supported in the current environment."

Has anyone else experienced this?

31 Replies

Hi, I also have this problem this morning (Italy - First Release)

I have 3 tenants on TR that have Hub sites previously enabled. Hub site navigation is disappeared on all of them along with "Hub settings" in the settings cog.  And I'm getting "experimental feature" error using Get-SPOHubSite in the same PowerShell window where yesterday it worked fine.

Is there some sort of feature roll-back happening right now?

After successfully working with Hub sites just a couple of days ago, I'm also now seeing the same issue. The thing that is also missing from the Site Info bar is the site classifications which I have applied.

Mmm...it seems a kind of roll back has been applied to Targeted Release tenants... @Mark Kashman can you comment here?

Hey guys, i just found out this is not completely available yet. Make sure you activate the new features within your tenant for new preview features Settings > Organisation Profile to get the features in the first place. 

It won't be fully rolled out until mid may. :( Maybe Mark or someone from the Product team can correct me. 

Thanks for that Ann. I was using Hub Sites in my tenancy at the end of last week as I blogged about it, but now today that functionality appears to have reversed itself. Typical as I was going to be demoing them later this week.

that is so frustrating! I want to demo as well only to have my colleague that its not available in my tenant. If you get it back, can you do a video and share on Social Media? Would be cool to show some people in the uk

Hope your well!

Regards,

Anne Dymond

Hi @Anne Dymond, according to Mark's post (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint-Blog/Organize-your-intranet-with-SharePoint-hub-si...:(

"SharePoint hub sites will begin to roll out to Targeted Release customers starting late March 2018 and will be completed within 1 month. We are then targeting early May 2018 for complete worldwide rollout."

So I think it reasonable to assume that Targeted Release tenants should be getting Hub Sites now with Standard Release tenants getting it rolled out by mid-May.

Disabling this functionality in Developer Tenants, where we are supposed to be interacting with latest and greatest is particularly frustrating.. How can I build support within my organization for making this switch if I can't demonstrate the functionality? And It sure would have been nice to know that this was going to be disabled across my tenant when the actual release hit. 

I would be happier if my Developer Tenant is occasionally strange / broken because it's receiving latest and greatest -- but to remove functionality, not really acceptable.

So can we please get this functionality turned back on for Developer Tenants please!!!!

Great, it isn't just me!

hey guys,

I just spoke to Mark Kashman about the issue. He said similar to the following:

Two things:

1) Its still early days and the teams are working enormously hard to getting it to everyone and every tenant. Its a waiting game! :) 

2) They hit an issue that's not resolved yet. They are working towards getting it resolved before it can be pushed anyone. 

Sounds like its hit a few bumps but should be back soon. No mention on timelines. 

Anne

Guys that have the hub sites taken away, they should now be working again I believe, there was a bug that removed them with the web part update push. Check again and see if it's back, mine came right back!

Hey guys, 

just to let you know that my hub sites is now up and working. 

Regards,

Anne Dymond

Hub Site pulling news, but I am not seeing the Hub menu across my sites.

My news wasn’t working. Did you try removing from hub and adding back? Or are you saying your main site doesn’t have the edit link to build out the menu?

Also which command are you using in CSOM? I used to Register -SPOHubsite to create a new Hub Site and I got the Hub commands. 

Mine's the same at the moment.

Not seeing hub commands. But that said when I started having issues I deleted and recreated my Hub Site, so now I have 2 sites with the same URL coming back from Get-SPOHubSite command, and I can't seem to delete the old one, so that might have something to-do with it.

Ah I see. I've unregistered and re-registered the site(s) with the same outcome. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by David Noble (Iron Contributor)
Solution

That is why, the hub sites requires the tenant setting to be targeted.

See Timeline section: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/christwe/2018/03/14/spo-tidbit-hub-sites-are-almost-here/

View solution in original post