SharePoint 2016 Server - mquery.js event deprecation

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone,

On May 31 2023, Google Chrome announced that mutation events are deprecated and will be removed from the browser starting on its 127 version which goes to stable release on July 30 2024 (https://developer.chrome.com/blog/mutation-events-deprecation/).

In the meantime, I've noticed in 3 different SharePoint 2016 Server environments that the javascript library mquery.js contains some of these deprecated events such as "DOMSubtreeModified" and "DOMNodeRemoved":

Sorry about the bad qualitySorry about the bad quality

Since I want to avoid touching on this library by trying to replace these events by the MutationObserver alternative, is there any known solution (eg: official patch) or workaround for this?

Thank you all in advance.

Best regards,

Duarte

12 Replies
When I used to manage on-prem environments, I would look at the following blog before performing any patches.

https://blog.stefan-gossner.com/

You can probably throw in your question about the patch relating to your question about the deprecated event in one of the SP2016 patch update blogs.
Will do it! Thanks!
The SharePoint Product Group is aware of this and is planning to address this in a PU ahead of time.

Same happens on SharePoint 2019, so description and tags should be extended. :upside_down_face:

viceice_0-1697614092496.png

@Stefan Goßner just checking in on this. Do you know if mquery.js has been updated to not use mutation events? (I'm running the deprecation/removal of mutation events, and the removal date is fast approaching.)

@mfreed7 

I received this communication below when I submitted support ticket to Microsoft concerning these depricated mutation events: 

"
I would like to inform you that the fix for this issue will be implemented on September 2024 CU for SharePoint SE. At the moment, there is no plan to implement it for SharePoint 2016\2019."

I didn't get any more info of the matter - like what are the business impacts etc. This much is certain, though: it does not look good :(

If this won't get fixed on SharePoint 2016 / 2019, then a lot customers would no longer be able to work with it. :sad:

@Dave66_75 It's unfortunate they haven't given you what could be impacted. I think the patching model is now SaaS --> On-Premises. You could try doing some assessments on your own by installing an early release of Chrome and see if it breaks anything. 

Tristan999_0-1712291359506.png

Mutation events will be removed from Chrome  |  Blog  |  Chrome for Developers

As an additional option:

Tristan999_1-1712291502857.png

Origin Trials (chrome.com)

You can also test by manually turning off mutation events. In Chrome, go to:

chrome://flags/#mutation-events

(you need to manually copy/paste that) and select "Disabled". That will require a restart.

It is too bad the older versions do not appear to be supported. Often, breakage from missing mutation events is quite subtle or not even noticeable. So it's possible the effect will be small when Chrome v127 is released.

@Duarte_Sousa11You have brought to my attention an important issue regarding the mquery.js library used in SharePoint 2016 and 2019 on-premises servers. This library contains deprecated mutation events that will be removed from Google Chrome starting with version 127, scheduled for release on July 30, 2024.

While the SharePoint Product Group had initially planned to address this issue with a patch or update, recent communications from Microsoft Support indicate that a fix will only be implemented in the September 2024 Cumulative Update for SharePoint Server Subscription Edition, leaving SharePoint 2016 and 2019 versions potentially vulnerable.

This news is concerning, as it could potentially break functionality for customers still running these older SharePoint versions after the Chrome update. To mitigate this risk, I'll take a proactive approach. First, I'll thoroughly test the impact of disabling mutation events in Chrome by leveraging early release versions or manually disabling the feature.

This will help identify any potential breakages in our SharePoint environment. Simultaneously, I'll escalate this issue with Microsoft Support, demanding a clear understanding of the business impact and exploring potential workarounds if a fix is not provided for SharePoint 2016 and 2019. I'll also investigate alternative solutions or third-party tools that may be able to replace or work around the functionality provided by the mquery.js library. If the impact is deemed significant and no satisfactory workaround is available, I'll initiate discussions with stakeholders regarding the possibility of upgrading to a newer version of SharePoint Server that will receive the necessary updates to address this issue.

Throughout this process, I'll maintain open lines of communication with Microsoft Support, ensuring they understand the criticality of this issue for our organization. Additionally, I'll provide regular updates to keep you informed of our progress and any new developments or recommendations from Microsoft. Rest assured, I am committed to mitigating any potential risks or disruptions caused by the removal of mutation events in Chrome version 127.

My aim is to implement a comprehensive solution that safeguards the functionality of our SharePoint environment while minimizing any impact on our users and business operations.

@BarryGoblon He's not brought it to YOUR attention as though you are a Microsoft Support person, he has posted it on the forum where all of us contribute answers & solutions!

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.
Principal Consultant, SharePoint and Power Platform WSP Global (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

what have I replied wrong? It was brought to my attention too