Prevent private news posts and making them public.

Iron Contributor

Too often users are creating news posts that are private but intended for the entire company to view. Aside from beating people over the head, for the third time, is there any way to prevent users from creating private drafts?  

And for the posts that are pending approval, is there any way to change them from private to public without 'sharing' with the entire company or re-building the entire page?  

Incidentally, while I'm looking at the new news post page, is there some way to remove "Made for Email" templates? These are also causing us issues.  

3 Replies

Hello @Anthony-123

i don't konw a way to disable private drafts.

A user create a private draft, after that, they will publish the news for the whole company. 

Here are more information, how it works and where have access to private drafts: https://sharepointmaven.com/private-draft-of-sharepoint-page-how-it-works/  

And no, it's not possible to disable the default templates from Microsoft...

Best, Dave

The problem is that all articles are submitted to me for approval but I can't see them when they're private. I suppose the solution would be for them to share the post with me prior to submitting approval but if they'd remember that then they'd remember not to make it private in the first place.

Good to know that when a private post is approved and published, it's automatically visible to the entire company. Not sure if that helps us though.

Thanks
You can’t disable the templates from Microsoft, but you can make your own template show up first. Just create your own template for news posts and set it as the default for the site. It isn’t a perfect solution but it does make it much easier to “bypass” the Microsoft templates if you have organization templates for pages.