Modern Communications Hub Site- Error on Hub Home Page

Brass Contributor

Hey there,

I enabled a Modern Communications site as a Hub site and associated several Team sites.  The Nav is working great and when I view the home page of my Hub site(I am the site collection admin), I can see the 'News' web part is serving news from sites in the hub and the 'Sites' web part is showing sites associated with the Hub.

However, my users are not seeing this.  They see two blank web parts.  They do not even see news published from the Hub site itself.  And, below the blank 'Sites' web part there is an error. Screenshot attached.

ANyone else having issues

23 Replies
Assuming those users have access to the sites joined to the hub, and also the news articles on the hub site are published?
Yes, correct. They have access to most, if not all of the sites in the company, let alone the hub. They are able to read the article by link and on the site where it is published. But, not on the hub site. On the hub site it doesn't show any news, it give the option to add new.
Interesting. Check the news web parts and check their sources and see where they are pointing maybe someone changed it?
Excellent point. On my Hub Site, I checked on my end and I can see the news web part and articles both from the Hub site itself as well as sites within the Hub.

The only web parts affected are News and Sites.

The only thing I did differently for my account is, when I registered the Hub Site, I added myself as the principal who can associate sites to the Hub. This wouldn't prevent users from seeing hub news, only from associating new sites, I would think... correct?

In SharePoint Home, I can see the articles and so can all of my users.
I dunno seems weird and permission related. You sure no one changed permissions on your pages library in the hub site? If you go to pages, then cog wheel > Library settings, and permissions, are the users listed in there? no custom permissions etc?
No, just Excel Services, Contributors, Owners, Members and Visitors. And I'm the only person who could change permissions on this site.

The error message doesn't seem permissions related:
"Something went wrong

Error: Couldn't get sites. SPHome Microservice not available for this environment
Call Stack:
Error: Couldn't get sites. SPHome Microservice not available in this environment at new t (https://spoprod-a.akamaihd.net/files/sp-client-prod_2018-02-13.004/sp-sitepicker_en-us_.....)"
Yeah seems the web part is busted, is this a 100% out of box environment or do you have custom web parts deployed?

You said it works for you thou? But users get that error?

I have some web parts from :https://github.com/OlivierCC/spfx-40-fantastics installed.  But, that's pretty much it.

Screenshots of what users see attached

@Deleted

As a test, I made a test user a Site Collection Admin. They are still not able to see anything but the default (blank) template for News and Sites. At least this rules our permissions.

However, If I change the News web part to only show News from 'This Site', I can now see the recent news articles posted to the hub site as the test user.

The only thing I did differently for my account is, I added myself as the Principal when prompted during Register-SPOHubSite.

Sounds like your having a search / index issue, you may have to end up doing a full crawl. I've been seeing some odd index issues popping up around the forums and it might be related to the new search experience getting deployed causing some of it or something.

Might want to search around for how to reindex your Search index and see if that helps at all.

The odd thing is your SharePoint home is fine, but it might not be using the same index as the web parts since that's driving more from actual SharePoint search vs. I think SharePoint home is more connected to Delve/Office graph.
Thank you for the tip! I will dig around and get that re-index going.

@Meg Simmons let me know if after the re-index if you're still having issues so i can look into this. 

Was this issue ever solved? I'm running into the same thing right now. 

Yes, it was.  My root site collection is not in use as we are building on the Modern experience.  Granting my users read access to the root site collection fixed this issue on my Hub site.

That did the trick. Thank you! 

This happened to us as well, and the solution seems to have worked, thank you! Does anyone know why they need to have read access to the root site collection? We were trying to block our users from going there so they only go to the new hub site, we put in a redirect from the root site collection to the new hub site collection.

I have a similar issue with the Sites web part placed on a hub site displaying all the associated sites. 

It works perfectly for licensed users but all the guest users see the following error:

ERROR: Couldn't get sites. [object Object] Http status code: 403. Error code: 401000. SPHome-CV: Ki7HIIqFq02lTdeQq4P8cA.0. SPHome-Server: RD00155D5E6ED1 2018-08-24T15:27:43.3418588Z.

The guest users have read access as visitors on the hub and some of the associated site.

From the previous post I tried with test user to see if adding him as reader would fix the error to narrow down the cause but with no success.

Unfortunately even if that would have worked my root site collection is in use and it is not an option for me to grant guest read access. 

Is someone else having similar issues?

Hey there,
Unfortunately the only thing that worked for me is granting read-only access to our root site collection. If you have sensitive data on your root site collection you could consider granting read-only access to the site collection itself but, break inheritance and restrict access to lists and libraries that contain the sensitive data.
Hey there,
Unfortunately the only thing that worked for me is granting read-only access to our root site collection. If you have sensitive data on your root site collection you could consider granting read-only access to the site collection itself but, break inheritance and restrict access to lists and libraries that contain the sensitive data.