Modern Communications Hub Site- Error on Hub Home Page

Brass Contributor

Hey there,

I enabled a Modern Communications site as a Hub site and associated several Team sites.  The Nav is working great and when I view the home page of my Hub site(I am the site collection admin), I can see the 'News' web part is serving news from sites in the hub and the 'Sites' web part is showing sites associated with the Hub.

However, my users are not seeing this.  They see two blank web parts.  They do not even see news published from the Hub site itself.  And, below the blank 'Sites' web part there is an error. Screenshot attached.

ANyone else having issues

23 Replies

I am getting exactly the same error message on the hub home page when testing with an guest user. News or "my sites" do not appear. The news web part do seem to work on other sites, but the sites web part do not show up similar to the hub home page.

I have tried giving the user read permission on the root site collection (https://xxx.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/sharepoint.aspx) Did also try to give the user member-permission without any change. (Because the SP group "everyonce except external users" is already a member)

@Philippe Ouimet What is your status on this problem?

Still no changes. 

The site web part does not work for guest users and still has the same permission issues. 

Never had any issues however with the news webpart on the hub except for the permissions issues on the image preview handler which was fixed using the tips in this article https://laurakokkarinen.com/sharepoint-online-guest-user-troubles-and-how-to-get-past-them/

Hi@Philippe Ouimet I also used the tips from this article which is great.

But in my case, the Hub site is associated to a collection of Office Groups with Microsoft Teams. My expectation is that users can invite External Guests to the individual teams. These external's can then access the hub and see all relevant news, site activity etc. where appropriate.

The trouble is none of this will work without someone also giving them minimal access at the root site of the tenant. This is a headache, If anyone has a good approach to managing this, I'd love to hear it.

Hi @Tony Hignett , 

Unfortunately I have not found any workaround for the use case you mention.

For my client it was a bit different because the invitation of external guest was moderated by some members of the organisation. 

The general flow was :

- An external guest member with access enters a request on the team or communication site in a custom list. 

- A Microsoft flow is triggered and notifies the organisation approver

- The approver confirms the request 

- The flow resumes and creates a guest user in the Azure AD to which is assigned pre-defined security groups granting him the right level of access to the SharePoint sites. 

- The flow creates an email with the guest invitation link to accept and redeem his invitation.