Manage "Document Type" column for each library which have different options

Iron Contributor

We have this case,:-

1) A site with 10 document libraries

2) For each document library we need to tag the documents with a managed metadata column named "Document Type"

3) Use the PnP Modern search web part, to be able to filter and search the documents using the "Document Type"

I found 2 approaches to follow:-

1) Create a single managed metadata site column named "Document Type" >> with all the options and user will select the related term. 

*Advantage:-

- Simple

- Single managed metadata property to be used inside the PnP Modern search web part

*Disadvantage:-

- Users will get all the options even the ones not related to the current document library, when tagging the documents inside the document libraries.

2) Create 10 columns named "<<document library>>Document Type". each column will only contain the related the related options for the current document library

*Advantage:-

- Users will only get the options related to the current document library

*Disadvantage:-

- not sure how we can filter the documents from all the libraries using a single column? For example, can i configure a single RefinableString  managed property which have the 10 underlying crawl properties? so i will have a single managed property that span the 10 crawl properties and which i can use inside the PnP Modern search web part? will this work?

2 Replies

Hello @johnjohn-Peter

i think yes. You can add all crawled properties to one managed property and you can use it in your PnP Search.

Best, Dave 

@johnjohn-Peter 

Duplicate of and more information at: Manage "Document Type" column for each library which have different options 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.