SOLVED

I want to create a dynamic SharePoint "thing" that updates when my Excel workbook updates

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Do I want a Site, a Page, an App, a Something Else?  I don't know.

What I do know is this: I want a central place where the employees can visit to figure out who is authorized to access parts of the company.  This will change (dynamic), and I want to display this information based on the source data from an Excel workbook.  As the workbook changes, the "thing" in SharePoint changes. 

This has nothing to do with SharePoint access, so if that's how you came away with this, get that out of your head.  This has to do with employee access to different departments of the company.  For example, John Smith has access to Departments A, B, and C, while employee Jane Johnson has access to Departments B and D.  So, maybe I want to display that by employee name, or maybe I want to display that by department with authorized employees underneath.  

However I want to display it, it needs to be dynamic and a touch-one situation: Update the Excel workbook, and the SharePoint "thing" changes - no need to update multiple locations.  How do I make it dynamic, and am I looking to create a Site, or a Page, or what?

Feel free to paste links and examples and all that you can.  I'm not against reading up on this - I just dont know where to begin.  

Thanks.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by akedm (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@akedm the "thing" you are referring to is called a web part. Web parts are the building blocks of your SharePoint page and there are web parts for adding text, images, lists, power apps, You Tube videos and so much more. The one you want is the File and Media web part.

So for this example we have an Excel spreadsheet called DepartmentAccess:

0-Excel.png

Create a page in your SharePoint site, edit it then hover & click the x in the middle of the screen to open the web parts panel. Select File and Media:

1-SP.png

That will open the following panel where you select your spreadsheet to upload to SharePoint:

2-Upload.png

That will add the spreadsheet to your page in read-only mode. If you click on it and then click the pen icon at the top of the web part there are a few customisations you can do to show/hide grid lines, show/hide the column headers and to allow (or not) sorting & filtering:

3-EditWebPart.png

Your spreadsheet will have been uploaded to the Site Assets library inside the folder called SitePages and then inside a folder for the name of your page.

4-SiteAssets.png

Edit the spreadsheet from this location. I have added a new row called Chris Rea:

5-ChrisRea.png

When you back to the page the updated spreadsheet is displayed:

6-PageUpdated.png

Personally in SharePoint, Power Apps and Power Automate don't really like using Excel as a data source and prefer to use a list in SharePoint/Microsoft Lists and display a view of the list via the Lists web part. So I'd recommend you start to investigate lists, but for the time being the above example with Excel should get you going.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.
Principal Consultant, SharePoint and Power Platform WSP Global (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Thank you.  @Rob_Elliott 

This is amazing.  I'll use this to help learn more about SP.

I see what you mean by Lists vs Excel.

Thank you again!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by akedm (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@akedm the "thing" you are referring to is called a web part. Web parts are the building blocks of your SharePoint page and there are web parts for adding text, images, lists, power apps, You Tube videos and so much more. The one you want is the File and Media web part.

So for this example we have an Excel spreadsheet called DepartmentAccess:

0-Excel.png

Create a page in your SharePoint site, edit it then hover & click the x in the middle of the screen to open the web parts panel. Select File and Media:

1-SP.png

That will open the following panel where you select your spreadsheet to upload to SharePoint:

2-Upload.png

That will add the spreadsheet to your page in read-only mode. If you click on it and then click the pen icon at the top of the web part there are a few customisations you can do to show/hide grid lines, show/hide the column headers and to allow (or not) sorting & filtering:

3-EditWebPart.png

Your spreadsheet will have been uploaded to the Site Assets library inside the folder called SitePages and then inside a folder for the name of your page.

4-SiteAssets.png

Edit the spreadsheet from this location. I have added a new row called Chris Rea:

5-ChrisRea.png

When you back to the page the updated spreadsheet is displayed:

6-PageUpdated.png

Personally in SharePoint, Power Apps and Power Automate don't really like using Excel as a data source and prefer to use a list in SharePoint/Microsoft Lists and display a view of the list via the Lists web part. So I'd recommend you start to investigate lists, but for the time being the above example with Excel should get you going.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.
Principal Consultant, SharePoint and Power Platform WSP Global (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

View solution in original post