How to set reminder event SharePoint online

Copper Contributor

When I add an event, by using Events, and people download the *.ics file there is no reminder set.

Is there a possibility to add this, so that at "Reminder" stands for example 15 minutes?

Rene_Bongers_0-1702906370464.png

2 Replies

@Rene_Bongers From my experience, a practical approach is to advise users to open any downloaded .ics event in Outlook, either desktop or web. They can then conveniently set their default reminder value by navigating to Calendar Options. This ensures that the configured reminder timing applies to all subsequent event downloads.

An effective solution involves editing the .ics file before distribution. Using a simple text editor like Notepad, you can modify the file to include a specified reminder duration. Look for the line that begins with "BEGIN:VALARM" and set the trigger time accordingly, such as "TRIGGER:-PT15M". This small adjustment can significantly enhance the user experience.

Another practical step is to guide users to take control of their reminders. After downloading SharePoint event .ics files, suggest that they open the event, click on "Open Item," and set their preferred reminder value. Encouraging users to re-save the event ensures that their chosen reminders persist, aligning with their specific needs.

For a more automated solution, I recommend exploring Power Automate. Build a flow that directly updates SharePoint events with reminders by manipulating the .ics attachment. This ensures a streamlined process and provides users with timely reminders without manual intervention.

@BarryGoblon Thanks for your answer. Because they have to do this we did get the question if it's possible to set this in a way that they don't have to perform this action.