SOLVED

How do add external users to a sharepoint site

Copper Contributor

Hi,

My company is abc.com

I am trying to create  a SharePoint site which is to be used by another company def.com

I can create the site but when i try to invite members outside of my company domain, it does not work.

Is it possible to have an external email addresses invited to be members of a sharepoint site? or do they have to have emails ending with @abc.com

Best regards,

3 Replies
Hi,
Ask your M365/SPO Admin to review the sharing settings for the sites. Quite proably the site is configure to allow only sharing with corporate users
best response confirmed by Saadat289 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Saadat289 - SharePoint Administrator need to follow the below steps:
1. Go to SharePoint Admin Center <https://<targetdomain>-admin.sharepoint.com/

2. From the left-hand navigation, click 'Active Sites' available in 'Sites'

3. Click on your site name and that will open a dialog box (to the right of the screen) and navigate to its settings. Review 'External File Sharing' and see if it is set to allow external sharing and then click 'More Sharing Settings' to check all the allowed domains.

4. If you don't see the external domain, click 'Sharing' available under 'Policies' from the left-hand navigation and look for domains under 'More external sharing settings'. Your admin can add your external domain.

5. Eventually your site should inherit the external domain that were added (step 4) and you should be share your site.

6. External user will receive an email invitation as soon as you share the site and user need to click on the link (accepting) in the email invitation for the first time to access the site. 

Hope this helps!

@ellan1537 
Thank you, I will give that a try

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Saadat289 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Saadat289 - SharePoint Administrator need to follow the below steps:
1. Go to SharePoint Admin Center <https://<targetdomain>-admin.sharepoint.com/

2. From the left-hand navigation, click 'Active Sites' available in 'Sites'

3. Click on your site name and that will open a dialog box (to the right of the screen) and navigate to its settings. Review 'External File Sharing' and see if it is set to allow external sharing and then click 'More Sharing Settings' to check all the allowed domains.

4. If you don't see the external domain, click 'Sharing' available under 'Policies' from the left-hand navigation and look for domains under 'More external sharing settings'. Your admin can add your external domain.

5. Eventually your site should inherit the external domain that were added (step 4) and you should be share your site.

6. External user will receive an email invitation as soon as you share the site and user need to click on the link (accepting) in the email invitation for the first time to access the site. 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post