Creation of Subsites in SharePoint Online

Brass Contributor

Hi, I perfectly know and understand from a logic and technical  perpective (flexibility, navigation performance, etc) why subsites are discouraged (in SharePoint Online, especially if I want to use Modern Team Sites or Communication sites or I expect to groupify a classic Team site in the future), but where can I find an official statement from Microsoft?

On the other side, they are discouraged, not deprecated, right? So what happens if I still continue to use them, especially for governance reasons (permissions management) or Information Architecture needs (sharing of site columns and content type)?

2 Replies
IMHO, nothing is going to happen since I don't expect Microsoft will remove the ability to create subsite in SPO...in regards of any official statement, I think there is not an official Microsoft document stating that Architectures should be site collections based, but as you well say, this is the pattern we have Today and I also recommend to my customers
Microsoft just posted a tweet from their SharePoint account to a document even showing a Site collection with subsites. Talk about headscratcher....

https://twitter.com/SharePoint/status/994382795282755589