Convert a column to Day from Date

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Absolute Sharepoint noob here so apologies for the great dishonour I bring to the experienced :lol:

I've got a Sharepoint list which contains a Date/Time, in the column next to it I'd like to convert specifically the Date part of that in to a Day (i.e. if Column 1 is 24/08/22, Column 2 shows 'Wednesday') - I've tried the Microsoft syntax for Weekdays but Sharepoint doesn't seem to recognise this, nor will it even let me save the column change. 

In the Day column, what sort of formula should I be using for this? 

1 Reply

@kylbnkn You need to create a calculated column for your requirements. Use formula in this format:

=TEXT([Modified],"dddd")

Output

ganeshsanap_0-1661397924063.png

Follow steps given in my answer to create a calculated column in a list at: Formula does not work for SharePoint/Lists 

Note:

1. Sometimes comma(,) does not work in formula (I am not sure but it is based on language or regional settings on your site). In that case use semicolon(;) instead of comma(,) at all places in above formula.
  2. You cannot use "calculated value" option of existing columns as this option cannot reference other columns in list in formula. So, you have to create a column with "calculated" data type for referencing other columns in list in calculated formula.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.