Communication Site Events - no support for recurring events?

Deleted
Not applicable

In the process of setting up a new communication site, disappointed to see that I don't have an option to setup recurring events. We have yearly events such as company meetings, birthdays and anniversaries.

Any idea when this issue will be fixed?

10 Replies

The Events web part, regardless of the site it's used in, doesn't handle recurrence in either its UI (as you showed in your screenshot) or its end-user display. I don't think Microsoft believes this is a bug, rather functionality that just isn't supported yet. What Events doesn't really tell you is it's using a SharePoint calendar to store events (go look around your site for a calendar and you'll find the events are the same); while the Calendar does support recurrence, it's still a "classic" application with no Modern version. I suspect that when Microsoft gets around to Modern-izing the Calendar app, it'll sort out the lack of support for Recurrence in Events. I've not heard a timeline for this.

Thanks @Matt Coats! I discovered the same yesterday when I went to edit the event and suddenly was presented the classic SP calendar where I was able to make the event recurring. I was really hoping with all the modernizing of web parts this would be included but guess I will have to wait. 

Seems this is still the case on my end. Any updates on your end?

As far as I know, there has not been any updates. :(

Thanks for replying! I am hoping for a fix to this important feature.

I have not heard any news about modernising the calendar or displaying recurring events on the web part either.
That's a shame really!
Hope it gets supported soon. Recurring events are commonly used everywhere.
I hope it gets added in soon. Quite a basic function that isnt available. Must be something behind the scenes that makes it tough. No other reason that I can see for MS to leave this out

Recurrence has always had quirks.  Especially annoying is that if you make a change, like ending an open-ended recurrence, all of your changes since inception are lost, and cancelled meetings of the past are re-added to the calendar.  

Nick

As a workaround you could use Flow to create the recurrences by having a custom column in event for people to specify a frequency and then have Flow create the items. You may have to specify an end date and figure out how to remove items if users change the frequency by having the originating I'd stored against the occurrence. It's not elegant but may get around your problem.