Site Column added to Pages Library is not added to the Site Page content type

Iron Contributor

On a Communication site I'm trying to add a Site Column of type text to the Pages Library.  There are no special configurations on the Pages Library which should prevent this.

As you can see here, the CommsTopic site column is only added to the Repost Page content type.  No matter how many times I delete and re-add, it's never added to the Site Page.  Any ideas how to fix?  I'd rather not add the Site Column to the Site Page content type directly, it should work by just adding it to the Pages Library.

2018-07-11_7-59-53.png

11 Replies
This is actually very strange...last time I tested on my test tenant, once I had added a column to the Site Pages Doc. Library, I had the column ready to be modified for a modern page...and indeed this is the way it should work according to this announcement: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-SharePoint-Blog/Structure-your-intranet-page-metada...
I was able to add the site column to the pages library without issue, your leaving the add column to all content types checked I assume and all that?

I've reproduced the issue. Go check your Content Type for Repost page, and make sure you don't have it set to read only. When this is set, the same issue occurs. Might not be the same but it's worth a shot if someone messed with that for some reason. 

2018-07-11_10-25-19.jpg

Christopher, it's correctly adding to Repost Page, but not Site Page.  I have checked and both are NOT set to read-only.  Any other ideas?  This is so strange because I'm not seeing the same behavior on other Comm sites where I know that I have configured them with the exact same settings.

Add to all content types is checked.

Sorry I meant site page, but you figured that part out ;p. Did you check the site content type for document and make sure that's not read only?
Sure did...Document is not read only.

Same thing happens to me that the column is not added to Site Page because that is locked.  The new page property feature that is being rolled out to targeted release now will allow you to add columns.

In the meantime, you can create a new content type that inherits from Site Page and add your site column to that content type.  Add your new content type to the library and set it as the default. 

When the feature above starts working, simply edit the column to add to all content types in the list, change you pages to use the "Site Page" again.

I have the metadata support already so might explain why mine was working.

I have the new page metadata working for me, I'm first release, but our tenant is not.  What's odd is that I'm seeing inconsistent behavior between a couple different comm sites.  Makes me thing its config-related for each site collection, but as I mentioned I know that there isn't any additional customization which would prevent this.  Do you think it's related to this new feature?  Maybe I should wait until the new feature is rolled out tenant-wide?

UPDATE:  I determined that somehow the Site Page content got locked down.  It wasn't set to read-only, but was unable to accept updates.

Error:  The content type "Site Page" at sites/... is sealed.

No idea how to fix that so I just recreated the site.

It's sealed in all my sites as well and I think that the page library meta data updates change this so columns can be added to it through the library.