Comm site doc lib won't retain metadata entry for two files

Copper Contributor

Hi all - I've run into an issue I've never seen before. On a new communication site, I've created a normal document library and added a single custom / choice column (Year) which I use to group documents by year. I used quick edit to tag each file with the appropriate year.  Most all the docs are pptx files.  I have two that when I enter the year, it immediately disappears.  One file is small (12 GB), the other quite large (79 GB). I've tried creating a Year2 column and made it a single line entry column.  The same two files will not retain what I enter into the Year2 column.  I tried creating a new document library and started from scratch, with the same exact results.  Has anyone seen this before / have any suggestions? Thanks, LP

7 Replies
Quick edit does not depend on the template being used for your site, it's just a document library feature and the problem you are having is totally unexpected. Have you tried Quick Edit in different browsers?

Yes I have tried in two other browsers.  I also forgot to mention I went so far as to examine/compare the properties within each PPT file, and there are files that have the exact same properties as the "problem" files that quick edit works fine on.  Just grasping at straws ;)

Is it because of the Size of the Document , it is acting strange. Did you try using the edit form to update the properties.

Yes I have tried editing the file's properties.  I don't think it has to do with file size as that doc lib has files ranging from 145KB to 82GB...so the problem files fall within that range.  However, the more testing I do, I'm beginning to suspect there is something about those two .pptx files that are different from all the rest in SOME way and is somehow interfering with adding data to custom columns.  On a test comm site, I created a new doc lib, created a Year column/choice, uploaded the trouble documents, and the behavior is the same - you cannot through editing the file's properties nor through Quick Edit, select a Year and have it "stick." Showed a colleague with many more years of SP experience than me, and he has never seen this before either. 

82GB? How is that possible when SharePoint only supports 15GB? Did you mean MB? :p.

Chris you are absolutely right - I meant MB not GB !!!

Hi @Lisa Proctor 

If you had someone with SP know how to check this for you and still having an issue, I recommend raising a support ticket with the O365 support team. An Office 365 admin can do this for you. 

All the best. 

Cheers,

Jag