SOLVED

Can Hub Sites be Content Type Hubs for their associated sites?

Steel Contributor

Hub sites sound interesting and I wonder if they can be Content Type Hubs for their associated sites.  If they could be Content Type hubs this would make it easier to delegate administration of shared content types.  Does anyone know if this is part of the plan for Content Type hubs?

11 Replies

Given that every tenant has one content type hub created automatically and that there can be many of the new Hubs, i doubt that it would happen any time soon. The underlying architecture of web apps and services is not very well suited for your approach. 

Totally agree with Dean's appreciation here...but curious to know thoughts of someone in the SharePoint Team cc @Mark Kashman @Dan Holme @Chris McNulty

best response confirmed by Gregory Frick (Steel Contributor)
Solution
I believe the short term answer is no. I'm certain @Mark Kashman answered this question on his recent webinar on hub sites.
Thanks John - I guess it is all about managing your dev resources. From a customer standpoint it would be great if HUB sites could be the source of Content types of all the sites associated with the HUB. Granted I work at a University and we are very decentralized, and the current Content type hub model does not allow me to grant admin over some of the content types in the HUB and not others.
Hi Gregory, think of Hub Sites coming in early 2018 as v1. I think we can expect more features to be released over the year. Certainly worth voting for your needs on User Voice once we have some hands on time in the new year. Regards

Its an interesting idea, certainly, although not supported yet.  Look forward to seeing some User Voice numbers on it!

This would be an awesome feature. One of the problems of having a separate site collection for all modern sites is that they can't share content types without building some custom solution.  Our only out of the box option is the Content Type Hub which is only supposed to publish a limited number of content types.  So this would also help reduce the number of content types that have to be defined in the Content Type Hub and published everywhere.  

Is there a user voice already started for this? What is the link?

Mary

Seems like a good idea but i guess it will not work as you can add and remove sites under a hub site which would break the content type

Good point.  Hmm.   I imagine once a site is added to a Hub and content types published from the hub, they could not be removed when leaving the Hub.  So we are back to the Content Type Hub publishing everywhere so it doesn't matter which Hub you join.

Still it is a limitation of separate site collections especially when you are trying to roll content up across sites - a frequent request!

Mary

@Mary F Harvey in a recent conference call some of the senior MS staff acknowledged that Content Type Hub functionality needed to be improved and stated that they were working on it. Obviously, it is a very complex challenge. 

Sharegate is a good tool and you can use it to copy content types between site collections.  I haven't tried doing it with their Powershell, but I have done it using their migration functionality.  I was glad to hear from  post that improving the Content Type hub was on their mind.  

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Gregory Frick (Steel Contributor)
Solution
I believe the short term answer is no. I'm certain @Mark Kashman answered this question on his recent webinar on hub sites.

View solution in original post