Best way to achieve this scenario

Copper Contributor

I currently have a board which tracks repeatable tasks for my team that's published into SharePoint via Planner. Planner allows me to set the repeat frequency of each task e.g

Server Uptime Review - Monthly

Review Azure Risky Signins - Weekdays

it does however cause an issue with our ticket logging tool, when a task is due it fires an email to our ITSM tool which logs a ticket. However, because planner will immediately fire the email for the next iteration of the task when the previous one is complete, it will for example immediately log a ticket for a task that might be due in a months time. This causes issues with breached SLA or tickets going late. 

Is there a better way of running the task board using SharePoint lists and flows/automation? If so any pointer as my flow knowledge is basic.

I need to have a list of tasks, who they're assigned to, due date, repeat frequency and an email to be fired into our ITSM tool only when the task is due, which could be weekedays, fortnightly, monthly, quarterly.

1 Reply

Hi @Graham_H75, Maybe leave Planner out of it altogether. Have two Lists, one that holds all of the tasks with columns for TaskName, Assignee, Days til Due, and Frequency. Have it run monthly to create all the line items for the month in the actionable Task List.

The flow can use the Days til Due and Frequency columns in the source list to create the appropriate number of tasks with their due dates in the destination/actionable list. Have another flow that runs daily and looks for items due today to send the email to the ITSM.