SOLVED

Top 5 Skills to Master

Copper Contributor

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I have most of my experience on the Exchange side of things. However, I find that I need to get up and running supporting Project Online. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on what are the top 5 skills to master?

or

what are the top 5 issues Project Online admins are asked to handle?

5 Replies
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

Hello @Mark_Jones75 

Items I'd focus on are:

• Understanding the PWA Admin settings panel
    • When your org wants to make a change, you need to know what / how etc.
  • SharePoint
    • PWA is built on SharePoint so understanding the basics of SharePoint will help you support your users, certainly if you make use of the Project Sites

An old blog series I wrote  - 10 years old now, but this will help you get to grips with Project Online: https://pwmather.wordpress.com/2014/07/22/getting-started-with-projectonline-round-up-ps2013-office3... 

Paul

Thanks!!

@Mark_Jones75 I'll add to Paul's list

• Understand PWA Admin settings.
  • Understand MS Project software.
  • Understand Sharepoint.
  • Understand Sharepoint designer for workflow development.
  • Developing Power BI reports.
Mark --

Even though I marked an excellent reply from Paul Mather as the answer to your question, allow me to add one more skill that I think is absolutely essential for a Project Online application administrator. That skill is being able to understand a client's requirements, and then translating those requirements into the setup of Project Online to meet those requirements. For example, suppose that your client tells you that some projects require work to be done specifically on a weekend. How do you translate this project management need into something you set up or create in Project Online? HINT: The correct answer is that you need to create a custom enterprise Base Calendar that schedules work only on a Saturday and/or a Sunday. This custom enterprise calendar can the be used by your organization's PMs as a Task Calendar on tasks that specifically require weekend-only work.

As an app admin for Project Online, your technical knowledge of the tool will not be enough to get the job done, but it will certainly help. The additional knowledge you need is understanding how project managers actually plan and manage their projects using Microsoft Project. If you can combine these two sets of skills together, you will be a much more effective application administrator for Project Online. Hope this additional information helps.
Very good.. thank you! I was just studying up on how to create / configure new calendars today! :)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

Hello @Mark_Jones75 

Items I'd focus on are:

• Understanding the PWA Admin settings panel
    • When your org wants to make a change, you need to know what / how etc.
  • SharePoint
    • PWA is built on SharePoint so understanding the basics of SharePoint will help you support your users, certainly if you make use of the Project Sites

An old blog series I wrote  - 10 years old now, but this will help you get to grips with Project Online: https://pwmather.wordpress.com/2014/07/22/getting-started-with-projectonline-round-up-ps2013-office3... 

Paul

View solution in original post