SOLVED

Resource pool duplicate resources

Iron Contributor

I have been using a resource pool with the same master project for months, and everything has been working fine.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think I remember a dialog popping up that might have said something like "do you want to fix the resources in your Resource Pool?" That's not even close, but for the life of me, i cant remember what it said, I barely even read it, and clicked "OK".  Now all of the resources in my resource pool are duplicated once for each subproject that I have.  When I go to add a new resource, dozens of the same resource show up in my drop-down list.  Does anyone know what may have happened, or how to fix it?  All of these resources have actual time recorded, so I can't just delete them.  is there some way to merge them?

Am I correct in that all resource information is stored in the resource pool, so any changes need to be done there, right?  I also noticed that if I go to "Resource...Resource Pool...Share Resources...", my master project is at the top of the list, but all of my subprojects are also listed below.  Is there some magic that I can work by breaking these links and restoring them?

3 Replies
Now I also find that if I close my resource pool, Project freezes and locks up.

this could be the message I am thinking of...

RobertOrnelas_0-1704415703028.png

best response confirmed by RobertOrnelas (Iron Contributor)
Solution
RobertOrnelas,
First of all, linked structures in Project (i.e. master/subprojects, resource pool/sharer) are prone to corruption. It sounds like something went sideways in your structure. Take a look at the following similar thread to see if it might help.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/project/shared-pool-resources-are-shown-separately-in-linked-...
John
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RobertOrnelas (Iron Contributor)
Solution
RobertOrnelas,
First of all, linked structures in Project (i.e. master/subprojects, resource pool/sharer) are prone to corruption. It sounds like something went sideways in your structure. Take a look at the following similar thread to see if it might help.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/project/shared-pool-resources-are-shown-separately-in-linked-...
John

View solution in original post