MS Project Status Guidance

Copper Contributor

Hi Expert,

Wonder if someone could assist ,me with something or perhaps point us in the right direction please?

I'm currently working on a Milestone Plan for reporting project work. I’ve built a project plan using MS project but I'm struggling with the logic to align the % complete to the status of the task.

Using an example below:

Start Date                1st April 2021

Target Finish Date           31st July 2021

Actual Finish Date           not yet complete

Progress                            80%

Task Status                       On Schedule

Actual Finish Date           12th August 2021

Progress                            100%

Task Status                       Late

Actual Finish Date           15th July 2021

Task Status                       Early Complete

Target Finish Date           31st October  2021

Actual Finish Date          not yet complete

Progress                            60%

Task Status                       Future Task

Target Finish Date           31st October  2021

Actual Finish Date          31st July 2021

Task Status                       Complete

Task Status: On Schedule, Early Complete,Late, Future Task, Complete

Whilst we’ve completed 80% of the task it’s still late but our plan isn’t reflecting this. Similarly, if we reduce the progress to say 25% it shows as  late but doesn’t give an accurate reflection of the progress made. I’d also like to report on completed tasks in terms of what was delivered early/on time/late but we’re struggling to get this in place.

Is there anyone who could help me?
Many Thanks
Dhan

1 Reply
Dhan --

The value in the Task Status field is calculated by Microsoft Project based on the Status date of your project. The Status date is a value you must manually enter, and it is not generated for your automatically. The Status date should be the last day of the previous reporting period. So, if today is Tuesday, your Status date should be last Friday. To set the Status date, click the Project tab to display the Project ribbon and then click the Status Date button. In the Status Date dialog, enter the date of the last day of the previous reporting period and then click the OK button. You will need to do this every week to get accurate values in the Task Status field.

If you do not set the Status date for your project, then Microsoft Project uses the Current Date value instead. I suspect that is probably why you are seeing unpredictable results in the Task Status field in your project. Hope this helps.