SOLVED

MS Project Resource Graph

Copper Contributor

In MS Project Resource Graph, how can I show the Bold Horizontal line indicating the Maximum Units number?

8 Replies
KAA_82 --

That is not how the Resource Graph works. It is designed to display only a single value in a column chart format. For example, you can display Cost, Work, Peak Units, Percent Allocation, etc., but you cannot display two values in a combination column chart/line chart (which is what you are describing). Sorry, but hope this helps.

@Dale Howard 

Thank you for your reply.

In the attached picture there is a bold horizontal black line that separates between Allocated (Blue) and Overallocated (Red) resources. I can not show this line which indicates the Maximum Units. I have tried the GRIDLINES list but couldn't find it there either. Do you know how to show it?

Figure-8.14.jpg

KAA_82 --

Where did you find that screenshot? I created a project with the same overallocation, and my Resource Graph view DOES NOT display the black gridline that is shown in your screenshot. So, the best I can tell you is that it is NOT possible to display the Max. Units gridline in the Resource Graph view. But if I am wrong, I would gladly invite the others to correct me and to tell me how to display it. Hope this helps.
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

@Dale Howard 

There ya go, throwing down a challenge. I'll give it a go and see what I can come up with. Stay tuned.

Update (a few minutes later).

As usual you are correct in that with current versions of Project the bold horizontal line is neither present nor available to display. However, when I stepped into my wayback machine and tried this on Project 2010, not only can I show the bold line but I can also delete it by turning off the bar  styles option "show availability line". Another gotcha from our good friends at MS. Maybe, just maybe, it's an artifact from the assignment units/peak units change that was made back in that time frame.

2024-04-24_09-15-07.png

John

KAA_82,
So to answer your question, that horizontal line IS the resource Max Units line. It's just called the "availability" line on the Resource Graph. And apparently you have an older version of Project that has that feature.

John

@KAA_82 

As Jhon and Dale say, the Resource graph showing Peak Units looks like a disaster, but not the Work graph, which seems to work correctly, at least in this example, and without forgetting to check the Show availability line option.

Ignacio_Martn_0-1714041346487.png

Ignacio_Martn_1-1714041391717.png

Ignacio

@John-project 

Thanks for the clarification. 

KAA_82,
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.
John
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

@Dale Howard 

There ya go, throwing down a challenge. I'll give it a go and see what I can come up with. Stay tuned.

Update (a few minutes later).

As usual you are correct in that with current versions of Project the bold horizontal line is neither present nor available to display. However, when I stepped into my wayback machine and tried this on Project 2010, not only can I show the bold line but I can also delete it by turning off the bar  styles option "show availability line". Another gotcha from our good friends at MS. Maybe, just maybe, it's an artifact from the assignment units/peak units change that was made back in that time frame.

2024-04-24_09-15-07.png

John

View solution in original post