Copying Relative Predecessors

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a large MS Project file and have several dozen themes within it that all have the same sequence of tasks (and relative dependencies) within them.

In the interest of time, I’m therefore copying the set of existing tasks and rewording for each theme.

When I do this- project copies the absolute predecessor for each task.  I’d like to know if there’s any way of copying/pasting and MS Project pasting the relative predecessor

e.g

task 1 
task 2 (predecessor task 1)

task 3 (predecessor task 2)

task 4 (predecessor task 3)

task 5 (predecessor task 4)

When I copy the above, the predecessors

remain static/absolute

e.g

task 6 
task 7 (predecessor task 1)

task 8 (predecessor task 2)

task 9 (predecessor task 3)

task 10 (predecessor task 4)

What I’d like to know is if project can paste relative predecessors

e.g

task 6 
task 7 (predecessor task 6)

task 8 (predecessor task 7)

task 9 (predecessor task 8)

task 10 (predecessor task 9)

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Thanks,

5 Replies

@Pckipling 

What version of Project are you using?

How exactly are you doing the copy/paste?

In this example I created two simple tasks with a standard finish-to-start relationship. I then copied the complete row of the first two tasks and pasted them twice. Links were automatically updated.

2022-11-01_06-52-09.png

John

Thanks John- I’m using MS Project 2013

Copying the entire row does help actually and seems to update some of the predecessors as I need (I was only copying certain fields and not the whole row).

However, I’m still finding that any tasks with a lag or a constraint date retain the original predecessor?
In fact, on further investigation it’s not just where there is a lag or constraint date attached to the task- Project seems to update some predecessors and retain the original predecessor for other tasks and appears random?

@Pckipling 

When you copy a group of subtasks, any link (predecessor or successor) to tasks or subtasks outside this group, will be retained when you paste this group of subtasks. 

I get round this problem by removing links to other tasks or groups of subtasks before a copy & paste.

@Pckipling 

First of all, rest assured Project does NOT do random stuff.

You say you're using Project 2013. Is it fully updated? I believe the last update (Jan 2019) creates version 15.0.5101.1000. If that's not your version then I suggest you update. This won't necessarily have any impact on your issue but you are working with an older version of Project and updating is very important.

I tried a sequence of tasks with lag and with a constraint and in both cases the link updated as expected. But rather than attempting to do a hit and miss emulation of what you might have, please post a screen shot of a group of tasks that fail the copy and paste operation.

John