Certain Weekend Work & Working Time in MS Project

Copper Contributor

I am building a project plan for a system cutover. For certain tasks, I need them to start on a weekend day but when I try to add this constraint or make that day a working day, it does not let me.

What is the best way to 'force' a task to be on a certain weekend date? And why might it be preventing me? I've even tried setting that day as an exception in the standard calendar.

And then is there a way to override the allotted working time on certain tasks - i.e., allow the resource assigned to work more than the standard 8 hours on a few tasks, but not all?

2 Replies
alw2170 --

You first need to create a custom calendar that schedules work 7 days/week. Second, you need to apply this custom calendar as a Task Calendar on the task in question. And then third, you need to apply a SNET constraint on the task to force it to start on a Saturday or Sunday. Refer to the following YouTube video for how to create the custom calendar in question:

https://youtu.be/XHKpEuZRixY

The easiest way to accomplish your second goal is to assign the resource with as much Work as you want, and then ignore the overallocation indicator for that task. Hope this helps.

Hello @alw2170 

As Dale says, you can use 2 common ways, in addition to overtime:
Option A:
1. Create a calendar, usually a copy of the project calendar, including the nonworking days (exceptions) you need as working days.
2. Assign the created Calendar to the corresponding tasks (Advanced tab in Task information).
3. Select Scheduling ignores resource calendars option, displayed next to Calendar selected above, on the same Advanced tab.
4. Include Constraint type: Must Start On, and enter the Constraint date, in the same Advanced tab.

Option B:
1. Converts the working day to a non-work day in the Calendar of the resource to be assigned to the task (Exception).
2. Include Constraint type: Must Start On, and enter the Constraint date, in the Advanced tab of the task.

Note: You can use Option A with the calendar schedule you want, and the resource assigned to the task that has that calendar will work those hours, if you have the option checked: Scheduling ignores resource calendars in Task Information Advanced tab.

I hope you find it useful.

Ignacio