Apply percentage of resource to a task

Copper Contributor

Hi, new to the platform with a basic question. How do you apply percantage of a resource to a task in MS Proejct Online? I have been searching too long. Resources and tasks are set but unlike my pro version on the pc applying percentages of resources to a task has eluded me.

4 Replies
EdzoB --

From the description of your problem, it sounds like you are talking about Project for the Web. Please confirm that the URL you are accessing begins with project.microsoft.com. If it does, you are using Project for the Web and NOT Project Online. If this is the case, you cannot apply percentages to an assigned resource. The best you can do is to insert the Effort column and then enter work hours in the Effort column that corresponds to whether the resource will be working full-time or part-time on the task. This assumes you are only assigning one resource per task, by the way. Hope this helps.

@Dale Howard My url ends with sharepoint.com. With my domein in the front. Should be online correct? Or is this web as well? Your info does help because during my setup I appear to switch between web and online the way it looks. Good to get the two version confirmed. But I must be doing something wrong.

EdzoB -

The URL indicates that you truly ARE using Project Online. However, you need to use Project Online Professional (aka Microsoft Project Professional desktop app) connected to Project Online to plan and manage your projects. Once you have downloaded Project Online Professional and installed it, and connected it to Project Online, you will be able to assign resources to tasks at a Units value less than 100% of full-time. Hope this helps.
Thanks Dale! Very usefull. Will continue my journey.