How to see all tasks by all staff over all planner boards in one schedule

Brass Contributor

Our Events staff work in Microsoft Teams in a team called COMMUNITY EVENTS.

Each event they organise is represented as a channel.

Each channel has its own Planner board to list tasks to complete that event.

There are 6 staff as team members and they are all doing different types of tasks inside the same Planner board.

There are currently 26 events going on, ergo 26 channels, 26 planner boards.

This team needs to see ALL the tasks across all 26 channels / planner boards in one calendar.

I cannot figure out how to do this.

Does anybody have any ideas please?

Also, if we were to create one team per event, rather than one channel per event, would that make achieving this overall calendar any easier?

Thanks

19 Replies

Hello @Sharyn_Mayne,

To see all tasks by all staff over all Planner boards in one schedule, you have 2 options:

- Option1: Combine Planner Boards into a Single Schedule
1. Create a new channel within the COMMUNITY EVENTS team called "Master Calendar" or a similar name.
2. In this new channel, add a new Planner tab.
3. Open each existing Planner board for the 26 channels, one at a time.
4. In each Planner board, go to the "Board settings" (the gear icon) and select "Copy Plan."
5. Choose the option to "Copy Plan to an existing Office 365 group or team" and select the "Master Calendar" channel as the destination.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 for all the Planner boards, copying them to the Master Calendar channel.
7. Once all Planner boards are copied, you will have a single Planner board in the Master Calendar channel that includes all tasks from the 26 events.
8. You can now view all tasks in one schedule by navigating to the Master Calendar channel and accessing the Planner tab.

- Option 2: Use a Third-Party Integration (Zapier, Asana, Trello, Monday.com, ...)

Regarding the question about creating one team per event instead of one channel per event, it would not make achieving the overall calendar any easier. In fact, it may complicate the process further as you would need to manage multiple teams and their associated Planner boards separately.

Overall, Option 1 provides a consolidated view of tasks from all 26 events in one Planner board within the Master Calendar channel. This approach allows you to maintain a single workspace while still tracking tasks across different events.

Kindest regards

Leon Pavesic

Leon - I cannot tell you how greatful I am for your suggestion. I will pass this onto the Marketing team and work with them to see if we can achieve this. Again, thank you.
Just for your information Leon, the Marketing team has tried your suggestion and it works. Thanks so much!
Alternately, you can use Apps4.Pro Planner to view all your Planner plans and its tasks in a single view and manage it efficiently (via Gantt is also possible).

@Sharyn_Mayne or @LeonPavesic after doing the copy can a task be added or updated in one of the 26 channels and the update is visible in the master plan?

We want to have each of our teams manage their own plans and tasks within those plans, but have a master view of all the plans for leadership to see in Charts. 

Hi Temmett - I have asked the team for feedback. Will let you know when i hear from them.

@LeonPavesic Hi, I want to follow option 1, but I don't see an option to "select a channel as the destination" when I copy a planner into an existing group. Have these settings changed since the post, or do I need to enable something on my end? Thanks!

Hi - curious how your team was able to do this. I want to follow option 1, but I don't see an option to "select a channel as the destination" when I copy a planner into an existing group. Is there another step I'm missing?

Hi @jsantiano 

you can copy a planner to a existing team by using a planner app. 

You can choose a plan in the Planner (https://tasks.office.com/), click on the tree dots in the Plan and choose Copy a plan.

LeonPavesic_0-1701676349671.png

Then, you can choose a Group (Team) in which you would want to copy your Plan.

LeonPavesic_1-1701676461025.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

@LeonPavesic I am a bit confused, please help :)

In the instruction is written that we should copy the plan to the chanell
SO I have a team with such structure
team 1
- channell: project 1
- channell: project 2
- channell: master calendar

And I do not know how to copy the planners from project 1 and project 2 to the master calendar, is it even possible? Or the master calendar should be a separate team site and not the channell?

Hi @N_atalia,

thanks for your question.

If you have the same Team with 3 different channels, you can add an existing planners from channel project 1 and channel project 2 to a master calender by following these steps:

- go to master calender channel

- In your master calender channel, select Add a tab +

LeonPavesic_1-1704793010704.png

- In the Add a tab dialog box, choose Tasks by Planner and To Do.
- In the Tasks by Planner and To Do dialog box, choose: Use an existing task list to choose an existing Planner plan to add to a tab in this channel - here you can choose your existing plan in channel project 1 or channel project 2

- Choose whether to post to the channel about the tab, and then select Save.

The tab will be added alongside your other team channel tabs, and you'll be able to start adding tasks to your board.

LeonPavesic_2-1704793173026.png

- Repeat this procedure to add a planner from channel project 2

It is important to note that adding planners is possible if your master calender channel is not a private channel.

Use Planner in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Support

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

Thank You for Your answer,
unfortunately it is not working, or I am doing something wrong.
I have several projects with plans and tasks in it and I want to have a view to all of it in one board.
I have created a planner with a detailed task descriptions for projects that we do repeatedly.
Now we want to use it in a different projects and it works, I know how to copy these scheme in different projects and then just adjust them.
Now I want to know the workload of the team.
Several team members are working simustanously in different projects and I want to have the possibility to check their weekly workload at one board.
When I added tabs with projekt 1 and project 2 to the "master calendar" channell I still have two separate calendars with separated tasks from different projects.
Is it possible to have it at one screen?

Hi @N_atalia,

thanks for the additional info.

You are not doing anything wrong, but unfortunately, there is currently no feature to copy multiple tasks at once or copy an entire plan to be the part of the other plan. It means that unfortunately it is not possible to have plans from project 1 channel and project 

You might want to provide feedback to the Microsoft Planner team about this. 
Planer · Community (microsoft.com)

You can also give feedback directly from Planner:

- Click the Settings icon

- Under "Planner" click "Send Planner feedback".

- This opens "Send Feedback to Microsoft"

- Click on "I have a suggestion" 

LeonPavesic_0-1704796641168.png

LeonPavesic_1-1704796713981.png

Regarding your question about monitoring the workload of your team:

To keep track of your team's workload effectively, you can the "Charts" functionality within Microsoft Planner. This feature provides a visual representation of task status, progress across different buckets, and team members' availability.
Monitoring my team's workload in Teams/Planner - Microsoft Community

Unfortunately, there isn't a built-in method to directly monitor the workloads of individual project managers. To achieve this, you may have to manually review and assess the tasks assigned to each team member under the respective project manager.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

Thanks, I will write to MS support team but I think that my problem is exactly what Sharyn_Mayne needed. It seams that she has the solution for the problem and is able to see all the tasks in one calendar, that is why I am wondering why I can't.
If there is a possibility to  see all tasks, from all projects at one calendar I will be happy too, it does not have to be a planner view. I just want to know what i going on in all projects at once. :)

Hi Team
No, we still cannot do what I wanted even after months of trying ..... Natalia - Looks like you need the same thing as me and we have tried but still cannot achieve all the tasks from all the plans in the one place... :( If I ever get the chance to talk to Microsoft, I will bring this up. Maybe you have access to a Microsoft Office MVP who might be able to feed this request back? I do not have faith in the user voice as something with as little ticks as ours requires will be far down the list of priorities I imagine.

@Sharyn_Mayne did you get feedback on this?  I don't see response

@rvpeel

I did speak to a MS tech and they said it cannot currently be done and I should submit a user voice request. 

Thanks,  @Sharyn_Mayne 

So having a dynamic way to see the other Teams Planners (events/key task) roll up to single view is key.  

Is my takeaway the only way to do that is w/third party applications?  I've not looked at them to see $ associated. 

Thanks again for quick response

@LeonPavesic 

Hi - I read this post and would prefer to use the option 1 recommendation, however can you tell me - once you move the plans to this master schedule, do you need to delete the individual plans? If not...would you do your updates in each individual plan/channel and see the updates in the master schedule?

Emma