Outlook 2019: Emails in outbox folder gone

Copper Contributor

Hi, I would like to know if emails in Outbox folder gone after an Outlook 2019 crash, is there a way to retrieve it? and what causes the Outbox emails be gone after closing Outlook app? I appreciate your replies/feedbacks. Thanks!

3 Replies

Hi @FieldCraft1,

Here is how you can try to retrieve outbox folder emails:

1: Check Sent Items Folder:
- Open Outlook and navigate to the "Sent Items" folder. Sometimes, emails that were in the Outbox get sent successfully and move to this folder automatically.

2: Repair Outlook Data Files:
- Outlook data files (PST or OST) can get corrupted, causing emails to disappear. To repair them:
a. Close Outlook.
b. Search your computer for "scanpst.exe" (it's usually located in the Outlook installation directory).
c. Run the "scanpst.exe" tool and select your Outlook data file.
d. Click "Start" to begin the repair process.

Repair Outlook Data Files (.pst and .ost) - Microsoft Support

3: Examine Deleted Items Folder:
- Check the "Deleted Items" folder. It's possible that the missing emails ended up there if they were removed during the crash.

4: Check (and if it is turned on) --> Disable Delayed Send:
- If you used the delayed send feature, try disabling it temporarily. Sometimes, emails are scheduled to send later, and disabling this feature might bring them back to your Outbox.

Delay or schedule sending email messages - Microsoft Support

5: Check Server-Side Folders:
- If you use an Exchange server or another email service, log in to your webmail or another email client and check your mailbox there. The emails may be stored on the server's side.

How to sign in to Outlook on the web - Microsoft Support

9: Backup Your Data:
- To avoid future data loss, create regular backups of your Outlook data file (PST or OST). This precaution can be a lifesaver in case of data corruption or other unexpected issues.

Back up your email - Microsoft Support

There are a few potential reasons for your issue:

1. Outlook Data Corruption:

• Outlook data files (PST or OST) can sometimes become corrupted, especially after a crash or unexpected shutdown. This corruption may result in emails disappearing from the Outbox.

2. Synchronization Issues:

• If you are using an Exchange server or another email service, synchronization problems can occur after a crash, causing emails to go missing.

3. Delayed Send Feature:

• Sometimes, emails in the Outbox are not sent immediately but are scheduled for sending at a later time. If Outlook crashes before they are sent, they may appear to be missing until the scheduled send time.

4. Antivirus or Firewall Interference:

• Certain antivirus or firewall settings can interfere with Outlook's functioning and may cause emails to disappear or get stuck in the Outbox.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic

Thanks for your response @LeonPavesic! I really appreciate it. Let me try those things. I will keep you posted.

Hi @FieldCraft1,

Losing Outbox emails after an Outlook crash can be frustrating. Here are quick steps that you can try:

• Check Sent Items and see if the emails are there.
  • Run "scanpst.exe" to fix any Outlook data file issues.
  • Look in Deleted Items and Check if emails are there.
  • Disable Delayed Send to turn it off temporarily.
  • Also, consider regular backups to avoid future issues.

Check this blog for more insights to your issue: Fix Email Disappeared Issue

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.