One person I email daily does not appear in TO field quick list.

Copper Contributor

My system: Windows 10 Pro on a laptop with Outlook 365. 

Here are the steps I take:

1. I email my boss every day. Let's say his name is Gary. 
  2. When I make a new email, in the TO field I type "Gary" and there are 2 Gary's in our address book. But only one appears in the quick list/autocomplete list that appears below the TO field.
  3. If I click the TO button I can see all Gary's when I search for Gary in the address book. Then I can choose my boss's name from there. 

How do I get my boss to appear in the normal quick list when I type his name in the TO field?

Thank you.

4 Replies

Hi @chuckmi,

to troubleshoot your issue, you can try this:

1. Verify Auto-Complete Settings in Outlook:

• Open Outlook.
    • Navigate to File > Options.
    • Select the Mail tab.
    • Ensure that the option "Use Auto-Complete List to suggest names when typing in the To, CC, and BCC lines" is checked.
  2. Clear Auto-Complete List:

• If the option is enabled, clear the Auto-Complete list.
    • Open Outlook.
    • Go to File > Options > Mail.
    • Under Send Messages, click "Empty Auto-Complete List".
    • Confirm by clicking Yes.
    • Test by sending emails to the same address to check if AutoComplete works.

If the issue persists, consider re-importing suggested contacts or deleting the AutoComplete cache.

Why are all my Outlook autocomplete email addresses suddenly missing? - Super User
Outlook auto complete won't display 1 specific email/contact address - Microsoft Community

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

My best suggestion is to use Gmail Workspace. Outlook is a true disgrace and will make your email work 100% less tenable. I have the same problem for years. @chuckmi 

@chuckmi 

You may be impacted by Microsoft making changes to the Global Address List. 
See roadmap: Microsoft 365 Roadmap | Microsoft 365. 

Unfortunately, I have not seen any other details about this change.

Teresa_Cyrus_0-1714371798593.png

/Teresa
#traccreations4e 04/28/2024

@LeonPavesic this happens at least once per month, in several computer of our company, and the recomended solution is always what you said or reboot (holy MS cure). But being like that and affecting several users as you can read means its really a bug that wasn´t been adressed. Latelly all software from MS seems to be developed just half way, without focus on the basic fuctions to work properly, and even if I may say, without sense or direction resulting in a decline in productivity and functionality. I would really re.think everything being done, and till then solve those basic problems. Want one more example of so basic fails, Teams calender doens´t have a monthly view. Just sad!