navigation bar moved to left

Iron Contributor

Dears,

The navigation bar has been moved to the left. How can I change it back to be on the bottom?

1.png 

416 Replies

@MBZ1_ I went to what's new and typed in navigation pane (I didn't even know what it was prior to "ahem" Googling it. here's what was displayed:

jhbower_0-1660291975357.png

For a brief moment, I thought I would have some success, but, ta da:

Reading Pane is the only option

jhbower_1-1660292174426.png

WHY?

perfect, it works. Today 2022-08-12@DanLhotka 

I didn't have the registry key so I created a new string key Microsoft.Office.Outlook.Hub.HubBar and modified it to have value false and restarted Outlook... Boom, the HubBar is back at the bottom... Thanks ! @DanLhotka 

That does not do anything to move the navigation bar...

can you provide screen shots of what you did and how you did it?  I am not the most technical person.  I can get in the registry editor but if I have to create a new string I am not sure how to do this to make it work.  I am sure there are others on here in the same situation and any help you can provide would be appreciated.@MarkDJ-icon 

I believe there are 2 ways to fix this depending on whether your Outlook screen has the "Coming Soon" button on the top right (if it does, turn it off!)

If you don't have the Coming Soon button, ShadowSong42's fix (elsewhere in this string) worked for me:

1) Open REGEDIT (*Note* - if you're not familiar with Registry edits, ask someone who is - making the wrong changes here can seriously screw things up...):
2) Navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentEcs\Overrides

3) Look for a String Value called "Microsoft.Office.Outlook.Hub.HubBar"
4) If it's there, change it from True to False. If you don't find it, you can simply add it.
5) Restart Outlook

2) Everyone else.

For
thank you the last bit was what I needed. IT WORKED !!!!!!!!
Changing the keys to False in either key is a temporary fix - when the feature is no long experimental, the keys will be disabled/removed.

The hub value should be in one of these two locations, depending on the channel.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentConfigs\ExternalFeatureOverrides\outlook
or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentEcs\Overrides

NOTE: Do be cautious making any edits to your registry! Errors can make your computer need to be reset, cause data loss or become unusable!!!

@MBZ1_ 

Solved!
The registry editor does resolve this issue.

For those who do not know how to do this, here are the steps:

1. Step one: It is very important that a registry backup be made and only desired changes be made to the registry.
    • If you are unsure how to do a backup, search online how to do this (I use Google).
  2. Step two: close Outlook:
    • Note: Ensure all important emails/drafts are saved before closing Outlook.
    • Hold the "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" keys and select "Task Manager". Then, in the pop-up box select Microsoft Outlook and click on "End Task".
  3. Step three: in your Windows Operating System (OS) taskbar search box type "Registry Editor".
  4. Step four: Click on the Registry Editor (App) icon to open.
  5. Step five: in the left column of the Registry Editor window, you should see a folder hierarchy. You will need to click through the folders to find the correct one (which will open on the right). Follow this folder path:
    •  HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Office > 16.0 > Common > ExperimentEcs > Overrides
      • How to navigate through folders: Each ">" symbol above represents a transition into a sub-folder. Each sub-folder can be navigated to by double-clicking the folder icon or single-clicking the ">" expand icon.
  6. Step six: When you have navigated to the "Overrides" folder, look in the right-hand column to determine whether there is a key called: "Microsoft.Office.Outlook.Hub.HubBar".
    • If yes: then right click on the key, select "Modify...", In the "Value Data:" field, replace whatever is there with the single word "false" (do not include quotes).
      • Note: You may want to remember the exact value that was there in case you ever want to revert this.
    • If no: If the "Microsoft.Office.Outlook.Hub.HubBar" key does not exist in this folder, you can easily create it by right-clicking on an empty space in the right-hand column, hovering over "New  > " in the pop-up selector, and clicking on "String Value". Then, simply type or copy and paste: "Microsoft.Office.Outlook.Hub.HubBar" into the key naming box (without quotes).
      • To save your new key: click any blank area in the right side of the Registry Editor and outside the key naming box.
      • After you have created the new key, right click on the key and select "Modify...". In the "Value Data:" field, replace whatever is there with the single word "false" (do not include quotes).
  7. Step seven: close the Registry Editor application by clicking the "X" in the top-right corner.
  8. Step eight: This is the fun part! Restart Outlook with no pesky left-sidebar navigation pane!!!
  9. Step nine: share this solution with someone who needs help! :)

NOTE: Do be cautious making any edits to your registry! Errors can make your computer need to be reset, cause data loss or become unusable!!!

@Stradivarius001 
Thank you So very much 

Not everyone uses landscape mode.

I personally run in portrait mode, and this wastes almost 3/4 of an inch of the 13.5 inches of horizontal space completely wastes 13.5 sq. inches of screen space because it makes a huge empty section down the side because I only use 4 items in that navigation bar. 

I really hope they makes this a configurable option. 

Wow, that worked. Those instructions were wonderful, thank you.

@Charles_Gillis 

You are very welcome! :)
I am glad it helped.

Jer.

Nope @Kidd_Ip 

As @DianePoremsky said, if you don't like this change, speak up in the feedback portal. If we get enough comments, hopefully Microsoft will listen to us. Here is the link : https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/c4da6df0-a9a0-ec11-a81c-000d3a0eaac7
I just left negative feedback at the Feedbackportal link.

@jergrafs
As of Aug. 13, 2022 @2:00 PM (PDT) the registry changes outlined above still work.
Thanks for that. It finally did the trick

this should be optional, not forced. It is such a waste of space for a few icons on the upper left side which leads to less space for e.g. email content, calendar on the right side if the own view is set to that ... @MBZ1_ 

You, my new friend this morning, are a GENIUS !! This pesky toolbar showed up this morning and I had nothing better to do with my time but to find a way to remove it. 30 minutes of trying other peoples hacks got me nowhere. However, your thorough and exacting instructions worked flawlessly. It amazes me the things that we can find solutions for on the web. Even something as simple, but irritating, as this small issue. Job well done !! Thank you.  @jergrafs 

Thanks @ButchyBoy,
I struggled with this for a long time and was really frustrated.
I was pretty hesitant to mess with my registry. But, after doing this myself and having it work and knowing there weren't any clear and specific explanations online, I wanted to help save someone else the headache. I am glad that it helped. Though I admit, I only provided the instructions the solution came from others. I just broke it into simple steps. :)

Dear all:
If you hate this change as much as I do, please be sure to leave your comments here:
https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/c4da6df0-a9a0-ec11-a81c-000d3a0eaac7

Microsoft needs to get the feedback and make this Nav bar move optional!