I need to return to my classic Outlook. I need to turn off new toggle. I can't. Help

Copper Contributor

I obviously am not computer literate but I must get back to the classic Outlook.  I have had my company email for years and it has the name of our company.  The directions to get from the new Outlook to the classic are confusing. Please help if you can.

Thanks

28 Replies

Hi @NebilSedki,

To switch back to the classic view in Outlook, follow these steps:

1. Open Outlook.
  2. Navigate to the Outlook menu.
  3. Uncheck the option for the New Outlook.
  4. Click the Revert button.
  5. Allow the application to revert to the Outlook Classic view.

Toggling out of the new Outlook for Windows preview - Microsoft Support

If you don't see a toggle in the new Outlook for Windows, troubleshoot with these steps:

1. Launch classic Outlook for Windows from the Windows Start Menu, not the new Outlook (identified by the "New" tag).
  2. Open the Registry Editor by typing "Registry Editor" in the Start Menu search and selecting the app.
  3. Go to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Preferences.
  4. Find and double-click on "UseNewOutlook" at the bottom of the list.
  5. Set the Value Data field to 0.
  6. Attempt to launch classic Outlook for Windows from the Windows Start Menu.

Switch from 'new' Outlook (2023) to 'classic' outlook - Microsoft Community

Ensure you choose the app icon without the "New" tag.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

@NebilSedki You can also type in outlook.exe in the Run box by pressing the Windows key + R and will launch classic Outlook

This all does not work. I see no way to move it back. Any other having the same issue?

I think I lost files when Oulook went to the new format. I need to know how to get the inbox subfolders restored. I just want my files back and understand how to save them and be able to retrieve them. I had no idea this would happen. I wish I had known beforehand.

I am having the same problem and have wasted a lot of time following the instructions of an AI bot which regurgitates the same ineffective stuff each time@MChaseBuffalo 

If none of the above methods work, you can uninstall the new Outlook app from your system settings and reinstall the classic Outlook from www.office.com this doesn't work either.
At last I have found the install page for office365, reinstalling it has fixed my email problem.

@NebilSedki Try this if you're looking for what I think you are (and what I was):

In Outlook, click on the File menu and then select Options int eh Lower Left of  the screen/window.

In the Options window, select Advanced from the bottom area of the list on the left.

In Advanced, immediately below where it wants you to Customize Outlook Panes in a checkbox to "Show Apps in Outlook".

Uncheck that box and restart Outlook like it says you need to.

These steps definitely work: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/toggling-out-of-the-new-outlook-for-windows-preview-ec102...

Going back to classic Outlook for Windows
If you toggled into the new Outlook for Windows preview from classic Outlook for Windows, every time you try to launch classic Outlook for Windows you'll be redirected to the new Outlook for Windows preview. You can go back to classic Outlook for Windows by selecting the toggle in the new Outlook for Windows app.

If for some reason you don’t see a toggle in the new Outlook for Windows, try these troubleshooting steps:

Make sure you try to launch classic Outlook for Windows from the Windows Start Menu, not the new Outlook for Windows. The new Outlook for Windows has a “New” tag on its app icon. For classic Outlook, select the icon without a “New” tag.

From the Windows Start Menu, type “Registry Editor” in the search box and select the Registry Editor app.

Navigate to the following path: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Preferences

Scroll to the bottom of the list to and double click on UseNewOutlook.

Enter 0 in the Value Data field.

Attempt to launch classic Outlook for Windows from the Windows Start Menu.
Go to the Help menu and select 'Switch back to Classic Outlook'

Just uninstall it and Reinstall it again- easy way @NebilSedki 

When you make the switch from Classic Outlook to New Outlook, it creates a new application called "Outlook New" or 'New Outlook."

Just go to Settings ---> Apps and uninstall New Outlook. Uninstalling New Outlook will not affect anything related to your emails in Outlook, since Outlook is a just an email client.

Once you remove New Outlook, Classic Outlook will become the default version.

@LeonPavesic that worked like a dream! Only thing I would change is to change the registry setting while exited from Outlook.

BTW, this new Outlook - what use is it? The visual interface is so much less usable and so much more restrictive. I don't get it.

Wow, can't believe it took me getting all the way down this page, before I found an option that actually worked. Thanks @Reese78

This 100000% works. Took 30 seconds. Thanks @CMAPman870 

I cannot read my old outlook e-mails with the New Outlook. Help