Sharing any files in OneDrive Business can harm you

Copper Contributor

When we share file from a business OneDrive account to the our partners outside of company, the recipient can see the names of our folders, the entire path is uncoded in the navigation panel.

Our clients or external users can see all our folder names, these names can be sensitive, for example contains prices, names of our suppliers or some other sensitive info what we don't want to share. How to hide names of folder i don't have idea? Please help.

See the sample:

it is file opened by our client outside of organization: Screenshot 2023-07-31 230505.png

1 Click in the left corner on name of file, you will se Location. Click on it,

2 After that you see a window with the entire path to our file:

Work / Export / Producers / Asia technology LTD / Buyers / Poultry farm limited / August 125 MT loading/ here is our shared file Export documents.docx

For example, if I sent a link of our file to our client, company Poultry farm limited, they would see where we buy goods from which manufacturer, this is Asia technology LTD. In fact, if you share files outside of our organization, then OneDrive can only harm you. Everyone can see all your folders.

Try to do it by yourself on your computer, come up with an example with folders and give access to the Word file. You will see the same result.

But that is not all. When you share a pdf file, the entire path to your file is indicated in the browser line.

Google doesn't have that problem.

7 Replies
While I personally would strenuously avoid clicking any of the links in your post, unscrupulous parties may choose to target you. For that reason, I recommend you take down your post.
maybe you can help answer the question, instead of being afraid

@Max_Rybchenko This is a forum where you will only get help from volunteers like myself. You are not contacting Microsoft itself.

I've given you excellent advice to protect yourself. However you're too rude, so see where that gets you.

Hi Max, it seems like a design behavior if you see the breadcrumbs or the entire file path. Rest assured it is limited to the path itself, they won't see the content.

You can raise this concern in product feedback forum to enhance the product functionality:
https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback

(Don't be surprised if this is already reported by other users ;) then you just need to upvote it )

@Eilaf-Barmare 

Hello Eilaf,
But that is not all. When you share a pdf file in same way, the entire path to your file is indicated in the browser path line > example with the same folders like above:

Http:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxDocuments%2FWork%2FExport%2FProducers%2FAsia%20technology%20LTD%2FBuyers%2FPoultry%20farm%20limited%2FAugust%20125%20MT%20loading%2FExport%5Fdocuments%2Epdf&parent=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxga=1

As result all your internal data are shared

@Max_Rybchenko   I would open another folder call "external share" in root of the OneDrive.  Now the only thing they see is the share folder in the bread crump.  It's a little more work for higher security.  

@zatan141 it is true, but if you have 100 folders, and handeds files, it is rutine, copying it to shared folder and then recopy back to the main folder if some changes other side did.

For example in google drive we don't have that problem.