OneDrive for Business wont sign in.

Copper Contributor

Dear all,

I manage an organization with a Microsoft 365 subscription.

After one of the users changing his password, OneDrive fails to sign in or sync. It returns error relating to internet connection but its false. 

I uninstalled and reinstalled OneDrive but now when I am signing in, at the last steps it pops up a dialogue box with no content and I cannot go passed it hence failing to sign in the user.

Photo attached for clarification.

What can I do about it ??Sasaki Onedrive.jpg

3 Replies

@Samil 

Troubleshooting OneDrive sign-in issues can involve several steps.

Here is a systematic approach to resolve the problem:

1. Check Internet Connection: Although you mentioned that the error message seems to be false, ensure that the user has a stable internet connection.
  2. Update OneDrive: Make sure that the user is using the latest version of OneDrive for Business. If not, update it to the latest version.
  3. Reset OneDrive: Sometimes, resetting OneDrive can resolve sign-in issues. To reset OneDrive, follow these steps:
    • Press Win + R, type "cmd," and press Enter to open Command Prompt.
    • In Command Prompt, enter the following commands one by one, and press Enter after each:
%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset
%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe
    • After running these commands, try signing in again.
  1. Check for Conflicting Software: Sometimes, other software or security applications can interfere with OneDrive. Temporarily disable or uninstall any third-party security software and firewall to see if it resolves the issue.
  2. Run OneDrive Troubleshooter:
    • Press Win + S, type "OneDrive Troubleshooter," and select it from the search results.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter. It will identify and attempt to fix common issues.
  3. Check Proxy Settings: If your organization uses a proxy server, verify that the proxy settings are correctly configured in Windows. Incorrect proxy settings can prevent OneDrive from connecting.
  4. Check Credentials: Ensure that the user is entering the correct Microsoft 365 credentials. Sometimes, copy-pasting the credentials can help avoid typos.
  5. Recreate OneDrive Cache: You can try deleting and recreating the OneDrive cache:
    • Press Win + R, type "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Office\Spw," and press Enter.
    • Delete all the files in this folder.
    • Try signing in to OneDrive again.
  6. Check Account Status: Ensure that the user's Microsoft 365 account is not locked or restricted in any way.
  7. Check for Updates: Verify that the Windows operating system is up to date. Sometimes, Windows updates can resolve compatibility issues.
  8. Verify OneDrive Settings: Double-check OneDrive settings, including the account, folders to sync, and other preferences.

It is important to troubleshoot these issues systematically, as the problem could be caused by a variety of factors. If one solution does not work, move on to the next until the issue is resolved.

My knowledge of this topic is limited, but since no one has answered it for at least one day or more, I entered your question in various AI. The text and the steps are the result of various AI's put together.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark them as helpful and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

Dear @NikolinoDE ,

Thank you for your detailed and helpful response.

However much, I tried most of the solutions suggested by you, non of them seemed to resolve my problem. 

Later on, I tried changing the default location for OneDrive folder and worked just like a charm. 

The problem must be around the cache or default folder location. I hope Microsoft looks around that.

I later on figured out the problem. I think there was a glitch with the OneDrive folder path, when I changed the OneDrive folder to another location from the default one, it worked like magic.
Please try it out and let me know if it helps you as well.