Double istances of the app

Copper Contributor

Goodmorning, at the startup of windows 11, two istances of ondrive start: one, the wanted one, is the one I'm logged in with my business account, the second one is OneDrive - Personal - not logged in. I'm not able to avoid the second one. Non way. I tryied with various reg key. Can you help me please?

Immagine 2023-09-11 092142.jpg

7 Replies

Hi @Pietro1977,

To try to solve this issue, you can try these steps:

1. Check for Startup Programs:

• Press Ctrl + Alt + Del and click on Task Manager.
    • Go to the "Startup" tab.
    • Check if you have both instances of OneDrive listed. If so, you can disable the one you don't need by selecting it and clicking "Disable."

2. Check Windows Settings:

• Right-click on the Windows Start button and select "Settings."
    • Go to "Apps" and then "Startup."
    • Ensure that you don't have "OneDrive - Personal" set to start at startup. If it's listed, toggle it off.
  3. Unlink Personal OneDrive Account:

• If you have both a business and personal OneDrive account linked, you may want to unlink the personal account.
    • Right-click on the OneDrive icon in the system tray.
    • Select "Settings" and go to the "Account" tab.
    • Click "Unlink this PC" next to your personal account.

4. Registry Editor (Advanced):

• Press Win + R to open the Run dialog, type regedit, and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
    • Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive\Accounts.
    • Delete any subkeys related to the personal OneDrive account.
    • Restart your computer.

After trying these steps, restart your computer and check if only the desired instance of OneDrive (OneDrive Business) starts at Windows 11 startup.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
      This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic

@LeonPavesic It didn't work. I removed the reg key, I removed the "Personal" folder in C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\settings, I disconnected the account (not connected). Restart.

No way.

Other ideas?

Thank you very mutch sorry if i'm short, language poorness :)

Hi @Pietro1977,

thanks for your Update.

I can give you a few more things to try:

1. Uninstall and reinstall OneDrive. This may clear up any corruption that is causing the issue. To uninstall OneDrive, go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features. Find OneDrive in the list and click Uninstall. To reinstall OneDrive, go to the Microsoft Store and search for OneDrive. Click Get to install the app.
  2. Use the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant (SaRA) tool. This tool can scan your computer for and fix common problems. To download and run the SaRA tool, go to the Microsoft support website and search for SaRA. Click Download tool and run the tool.
  3. Contact Microsoft support. If you have tried all of the above steps and you are still having the issue, you can contact Microsoft support for further assistance.

Here are some additional tips:

• Make sure that you are running the latest version of Windows 11.
  • Make sure that you have all of the latest updates installed for OneDrive.
  • Try running OneDrive as an administrator.
  • Try disabling all other startup programs to see if that resolves the issue.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic

nothing works :(

Hi @Pietro1977,

thanks fot the update.

I'm really  sorry to hear that none of the solutions have worked for you. I would recommend that you contact Microsoft support for further assistance.

Here are a few things you can mention to Microsoft support when you contact them:

• You have tried all of the troubleshooting steps listed above.
  • OneDrive is not working at all, or it is only working partially.
  • You are running the latest version of Windows 11 and OneDrive.
  • You have all of the latest updates installed for Windows 11 and OneDrive.
  • You have tried running OneDrive as an administrator.
  • You have tried disabling all other startup programs.

Microsoft support may be able to help you troubleshoot the issue further.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic

@LeonPavesic I think it was due to the fact that my windows user was an online microsoft user and not a local user. So Windows took it for granted that I also wanted to log in with that account, while I was only interested in logging in with the company account. I solved it by creating a local user.

Doh! even ifif the windows user was local, logging in to sync the profile, restored the problem. Now I went to settings\account\email and account\manage account and i removed the personal microsoft account. I'm going to restart...tell me "good luck!" :D