Microsoft To Do Tasks Disappeared

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I used to have ~100 tasks in my To-Do application these days. As of yesterday, they have been reduced to ~50. Multiple tasks disappeared from various lists (the lists are all intact).

I rely on To-Do a lot and that's why I have it on 2 Windows PCs, 3 iOS devices and 1 Android. All are synced to the ~50 baseline, which as of yesterday, since to be my as-is in Microsoft's servers.

All 6 applications (in all 3 different platforms), are on To-Do version 2.55 (latest one as we speak today). Of course I have uninstalled/re-installed, log-out/in, and changed passwords to my Office 365 account several times, with no effect.

When I visited the web app, to check the situation, my tasks were not deleted (i.e. reduced from ~100 to ~50), but I noticed, that these ~100 tasks, were not exactly my latest update (i.e. I have seen tasks here and there that I have recently closed, or changed that were not reflected in the web app). But at least the heavy reduction from ~100 to ~50 was not done (some hope there). But when I signed out and signed it again (always in the web app), then I saw all these tasks disappearing from here as well.

So now, all 6 apps (Windows, iOS and Android), plus the web app, are ALL SYNCHORNIZED to this ~50 tasks baseline, which as of yesterday, seems to be my new as-is in Microsoft's servers. The disappeared messages are not in deleted tasks folder of Office365/Outlook, etc. They are totally gone.

Can anyone support me, or suggest something to me ?

Thank you! 

65 Replies

I had this problem today where all my long-term to-do tasks disappeared. I signed out of Microsoft to do and then signed back in and they returned but I think I'll be exporting as a CSV regularly in case this happens and I can't get them back.

@Lynnette001 

Hello

I made backups from ToDo over a link https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/options/general/export

so I exported a pst file which I could reimport in outlook.

Since february 2023 this do not work any more. No support / no answer!

I is a big problem for me!

Daniela

All Flagged emails have been migrated to Teams inside of Tasks by Planner and To Do!! If you're trying to see flagged emails and click the To Do app you'll unfortunately be directed to the web app. I'm definitely going to ditch the new outlook..
Hi, same here. Happened today, all tasks gone from ToDo.
In my case, tasks in Outlook and Planner are still there, but I like the fact that ToDo is collecting all tasks in one place. And I have also planned some in ToDo, so not sure if they are gone, too.
It seems though that Teams has an app, which works similar to ToDo (Tasks from Planner), which also seems to collect tasks from different places. Maybe MS changed everything to Teams (as they are pushing this monster of a software massively) and didn't bother to tell anyone. Welcome to the world of monopolists.:unamused_face:
What I find interesting that nobody from MS has commented in this thread...
Well, see my comment before.
I have used and loved Google's task list software for a long time, and having just started at a new job that uses MS Office, I thought I would try Microsoft's task list. That was a huge mistake apparently. I set up a dozen tasks in my first few days to organize my thoughts and pending tasks for this new job, and now they're just all unceremoniously gone. I don't know why I trusted Microsoft when so much of their other software works so poorly.
Same happened to me while on vacation. What a bummer.

@Viterbi I have fixed mine. same thing happened. Maybe after i cleared my cache. anyway, it is easier if you have it sync to your phone. I synced it back to my browser and it worked. All of my tasks are back

Hello @Viterbi and others about your disappearing data on To Do. Is it possible that any you may have got assistance in getting your info back on To Do?

Same has just happened to me now, Man I had a lot of notes on there. I am a musician and many of my set lists, songs. music reminders, gig info. Yes Wunderlist was great. I have lost on all 4 devices. Spent so much time trying to find a contact email, chatroom anything for microsoft but no such luck, terrible terrible. If anyone has any info please drop me a line. much appreciated.       all the best Denis

@Viterbi I just experienced the same issue. I had around three dozen items on various lists in To Do. I mainly access the app through Outlook Web via Chrome. My account is a part of a university Office365 enterprise. I saw suggestions that clearing your browser cache would work - and indeed it did for me. I cleared my cache using the 'all time' option in Chrome, and my To Do items are back.

I hope this helps others.

@BenKeepers thank you very much. Fear mine are long gone sadly but good to know! Glad you got yours back

Clearing my browser cache fixed it for me.
Here I am visiting this article for at least the 5th time this year. Suddenly and without explanation, individual tasks disappear during the night.

Today's victim:

I a that task here for around 2 weeks synched between my phone and computer.

Today it is just gone. Had 10 measurements in that task that I accumulated over time and had not changed it in a few days. I have to go back and re-do. Nothing in deleted items, nothing in completed items, nothing in outlook deleted.

Truly miserable when this happens. All I know is that my windows 11 laptop updated during the night.

I’m having a related issue but different in the sense of I wanted to move tasks to another list - the whole app froze and now it seems only 50% is moved. I definitely lost like 200 tasks during this process. Also not visible online or elsewhere. Opened a case with Microsoft but no agent assigned yet, so no feedback. Really hope this can be resolved as I can’t recover this data myself - same issue you all have! :(

Hi all! I have deleted all of my to-dos and am now just using a list in Word (could be easier in OneNote, I know) to track by to dos-- I've added a Table of Contents to make it easier to navigate. I just can't risk losing all of the ideas and resource/reference content I was holding in To Do. 

I've tried twice in the last two years (most recently in April) to sync Windows Outlook and Iphone To Do with Microsoft365, and both times it deleted dozens of tasks from Outlook. There have been reports about this for the last two years -- such sync is clearly beyond the technical capabilities of the developers.

I still use the old Iphone app Task Task, which more closely matches the task features of Windows Outlook.
This depresses me so much. This is how I managed my workflow. It's frustrating beyond belief. Just, wildly inferior. It's sooooo frustrating. I'm gutted.

I can't believe in two years and constant comments, there has been no official update or fix for this issue. I had tasks and projects on there dating back years, and planned ahead for months. It makes it all feel like a waste of time now. Will be using an alternative moving forwards. @Viterbi 

@Viterbi I just noticed this problem today, and I determined that my old tasks were being archived to my "Online Archive" in Exchange Online. I was able to move my old tasks back to my mailbox "Tasks" folder/sub-folders and they reappeared in To Do, but I fear this is going to happen again on the next archive cycle. I keep a research list with things I need to get to eventually, and most of my lost content was in that list, but I had several regular Tasks that went missing because I was working on another long term project and didn't have time for those Tasks. So... check with your organization's administrator, and most likely the culprit is online archiving. It looks like Microsoft To Do stops showing tasks that end up in the online archive. One of two things needs to happen to prevent this: (1) have your administrator configure a retention policy so Tasks and sub-folders do not get archived, or (2) Microsoft needs to update To Do so it shows tasks in the Online Archive.

@Viterbi Same thing has been happening to me as well. Lost lots of tasks on many list over time!  What is the fix???

@TracyM2165 Only solution is to check if you have not been deleting them by mistake. You can find deleted tasks in "Deleted Items" folder of outlook.com . Deleted tasks usually have a different description after I restore them. It is weird