Which is it, Teams Premium or Advanced Communications?

Iron Contributor

A few months ago, I stumbled across the "You'll need Teams Premium or an Advanced Communications license to add, edit, duplicate, or manage users for custom policy packages."

NOTE: This is a lousy way to treat paying customers...allow them to create a policy and then enact some "add-on" costs to be able to edit or remove a pre-existing one? Really?

I proceed to purchase AC and continue about my business. Fast forward to today. I am attempting to update policy packages to include new (unnecessary) features and settings within Teams and am facing errors with making these changes. It's a merry-go-round of "you need Premium" and "you need AC".

Which one is it?

2 Replies

@lance-aughey ACS is being replaced with Teams Premium, I expect when your current licenses expire you will need to move across.

Very few organisations use Policy Packages, just create policies and link them to groups instead for most policies. Some PowerShell might be required.

Maybe tell us what changes you are making and what errors you see?

@Steven Collier Thank you for clarifying (ACS --> Premium).

Admittedly, I know very little about Teams...still not sold on the idea of using this platform for our tiny company (many teams of one) just so we can use text/audio/video chat, but with all of our colleagues and customers inviting us to conversations/meetings, I guess it's do or die time.

I already have a full enough plate (in the world of IT, I'm IT), so I was envisioning these policy packages would simplify the assignment/deployment process -- having to assign policies to groups isn't the issue, but unless I'm missing something obvious, when adding a new user to Teams, I have to visit the policies tab for said user and run down the every-growing list and change the direct/default individually to the policy of my choice. It seemed the policy package was the preferred method as it's a "one and done" option.

As for the errors/problems I'm experiencing, I'm attempt to update a custom policy package (we'll call it EMPLOYEES):

1. Microsoft Teams Admin Center (as a Global Admin)
  2. Policy Packages
  3. Edit EMPLOYEES (all policies are live except "Voice Routing" and "Events")
  4. I attempt to add and assign my custom policies to "Voice Routing" and/or "Events" and click SAVE

The error I receive is:

The policy package "EMPLOYEE Default Policy" couldn't be updated. Try again. If you continue to have a problem, contact Microsoft customer support.

And before you ask, no, I haven't contacted Microsoft Customer Support. My reasoning is simple. Over the course of 6 years, I've attempted to obtain support dozens of times...and how many of these attempts has resulted in a resolution? ZERO. And yet, silly ole me...a few days ago, I opened a support request in each of our 3 tenants and asked to have the Microsoft Feed disabled in microsoft365.com (just like the Microsoft "Learn" site instructed me to do) and I got 3 different responses...none of which resulted in a resolution.

I may be the only one to state this, but that option Microsoft's "customer support" is 100% useless. 90% of my solutions and/or workarounds are the result of Google, Microsoft's tech community and (believe it or not) Reddit. Such a shame that even Microsoft's "learn" site seems to be wrong more often than right.