SOLVED

Unable to hear the caller

Copper Contributor

We are currently experiencing significant difficulties with our phone system, as we are unable to hear the person on the other end of the line when a call comes in for approximately 50% of the calls. This issue persists for calls directed to the call queue as well as individual end users. Our setup utilises Microsoft Direct Routing in conjunction with Gamma.

Despite testing the system on three separate networks, the problem remains. It also affects all devices, including Yealink, Windows, Android, and iOS, regardless of updating them to the latest Teams version.

With our call queues operating in conference mode, we have attempted to disable this feature but to no avail. Gamma has conducted a call trace and reported that they were able to hear both sides of the conversation. We would greatly appreciate any assistance in addressing this ongoing issue.

15 Replies

We also have two customers reporting the same issue that either they cannot hear us, or we cannot hear them.  If they cancel the call and then ring back straight away then the call and quality of the call is fine.

It sounds like we are using the same setup with Microsoft Teams, and Direct Routing through Gamma.

We have registered this fault with Microsoft and Gamma, who both at the moment aren't providing any level of support.

Another company that we do not have any business connections with have also reported the same problem too.

The problem for us started when we returned from the Easter break, everything was working fine up until this point.

@SimonLangleyYork Who is managing the SBC, Gamma? This would sound like an issue with the configuration there and since it would seem like multiple Gamma customers at the same time I would suggest they are the one's to pressure for a fix.

@SimonLangleyYork Interestingly, our issue also began after returning from the Easter break. We are using Gamma as our SBC provider.

I have been in contact with Gamma, and they claim they cannot do anything to resolve the issue. Additionally, we have not received a response from Microsoft, which is causing our customers to become increasingly unhappy.

@hadimarashy Gamma are a partner of Microsoft and will be able to raise calls to them directly, it very much sounds like the issue is between them and Microsoft. There is so little you can do to diagnose the issue, it needs the SBC operator to be talking to Microsoft.

Hi Steven,

@Steven Collier Unfortunately, our attempts to resolve the phone system issue have not been successful. Gamma is unwilling to provide assistance, and Microsoft has been slow in responding. The only feedback we have received from Microsoft is the following:

2206 2023-04-17T09:41:19.557 Error CallingBotService waitForCallRegion failed with error: Timed out waiting for call.region after 10000ms
4452 2023-04-17T09:41:09.547 Error CallAudienceBotMixinImplementation Data channel disabled/not started/pluginless
2628 2023-04-17T09:41:10.792 Warn CallingEventsPublisher Active content sharing start failed subscription present, skipping subsequent initialization
3824 2023-04-17T09:41:10.215 Warn MeetingInfoExchangeProvider errorReason=Conversation [object Object] is not private or channel., meetingType=undefined
4452 2023-04-17T09:41:09.547 Error CallAudienceBotMixinImplementation Data channel disabled/not started/pluginless

I am uncertain of the meaning of the above. In the meantime, our business continues to suffer due to the unresolved issue.

Any guidance or support would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

@hadimarashy to see if the same problem persists, we have setup call forwarding in the GAMMA SIP Trunk website to forward all incoming calls on our main telephone number to a mobile number.  This will bypass the Microsoft Teams system completely.  I am hopeful that if the issue persists by bypassing Microsoft that then it proves that GAMMA are the underlying fault.  

Where did you get the logs from or is that what Microsoft gave you?

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon,

@SimonLangleyYork Per Microsoft's request, I obtained the SBC logs from Gamma and sent them to Microsoft for further investigation. In response, Microsoft provided the log mentioned above.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will also forward the calls, which should help in identifying if Gamma is at fault in this situation.

Many thanks,

@hadimarashy The problem is only going to be resolved by Gamma working with Microsoft, I assume you are paying them for a Teams integrated calling solution and they aren't delivering that.

@Steven CollierI have received a response from Gamma regarding our ongoing phone system issue. Unfortunately, they have decided not to assist us in resolving the problem.

"I absolutely appreciate the frustration here but fundamentally we can see this media being sent across our network, both ways.

We would not glean anything from those examples provided as these would need to be scheduled during a media trace as this is at it's core, a media problem.

We do not see media if we're not actively running a capture during the period.

If you'd like to set up a media trace to capture further examples that's ok but I want to set expectations that I don't believe this to be worthwhile at all, because we're almost certainly going to see the same behaviour.

If we're passing media onto Microsoft and the customer (destinaton) is unable to hear that audio then this needs to be raised with Microsoft directly. I appreciate this has been done but there's nothing from us that can be done to expedite this on their side as MSTeams isn't our product. This is simply our network in use and therefore all we can do is produce evidence that this traffic is traversing our network as expected."

@hadimarashy Can you get the Gamma engineer and Microsoft on a call at the same time so they can talk SIP and traces to each other, this is never going to be resolved with you in the middle. If Microsoft can accept that the issue is on their side they can figure it out but it seems like both are blaming each other.

As a Microsoft partner Gamma should be engaging with Microsoft directly. 

@Steven Collier I am experiencing difficulties in reaching Microsoft Support by phone regarding our ongoing phone system issue. I have created a case through the Office 365 admin center and sent emails to request updates. Unfortunately, my emails are being ignored, and I have not received any meaningful responses.

Are you aware of any alternative methods for contacting Microsoft Support more effectively. Any advice or guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated as we strive to resolve this critical issue.

best response confirmed by hadimarashy (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi All,

After being unable to fix the problem, we decided to transition to Microsoft Teams - Operator Connect Service. This move has addressed all our concerns and our phone system is now functioning correctly.

@Steven Collier @SimonLangleyYork I would like to extend my gratitude to everyone who provided assistance and support during this challenging period. Your help has been greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

@hadimarashy thanks for letting us know.

Our of curiosity, could you provide me with some more info on which operator did you go for, and any other tips you might have please?

Thanks
Simon

@hadimarashy 

We are having a very similar issue to you - which started on 10th April.

We have one-way audio/silent calls which has affected our business to the point where we have had to initiate our BCP plan.

We use Teams Direct Routing with Gamma, who also have run traces on the call traffic.  It looks like the issue is after the SBC on Microsofts end.  We too have tickets open with Gamma and Microsoft.

18 days and counting......

Here's hoping it's sorted soon.

Hi Emma, we are in the process of moving everything to Microsoft. We have added Microsoft Calling Plans, and have forwarded the numbers from Gammas platform directly to the new number from Microsoft and everything is working correctly. We have spent a lot of time with Microsoft and they think it is Gamma not using the correct version of the SBC software. However Gamma are absolutley useless at replying to us. We just said enough is enough and moved.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by hadimarashy (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi All,

After being unable to fix the problem, we decided to transition to Microsoft Teams - Operator Connect Service. This move has addressed all our concerns and our phone system is now functioning correctly.

@Steven Collier @SimonLangleyYork I would like to extend my gratitude to everyone who provided assistance and support during this challenging period. Your help has been greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

View solution in original post