SOLVED

Reply on Desktop App?

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Brass Contributor

Hello, may I know why it's 2020 and replying to a comment is still NOT A FEATURE on desktop app?

Why things like video background made the cut but not Replying To A Comment on Desktop?

This is 2020 and literally every single communication app can do that, but not a chat app geared toward enterprises?

53 Replies

Positive_energy. Your video does not address the issue the Op is experiencing.

On a mobile device, you can swipe right on a message & it will create a reply related to that message by capturing it in a small bubble. See green tick image in below screenshot.

The alternative posted by ChristianBergstrom requires additional steps & does not look the same as the mobile version. See red X in screenshot below.
MS Teams quote.png

The first quote at 09:47 on a mobile device shows the name in bold & has no time stamp.

The quote at 09:48 followed ChristianBergstrom steps, is cumbersome, doesn't show the name in bold

All messages already have the ellipses (...) menu. Simply supply a reply action & quote the message the same way as on a mobile device. Why do I have to copy / > / paste / Enter, enter to quote a message?

@ANGleAUT  i think you forgot to enter SHIFT and >  first in the message box then copy-paste the message. and then press ENTER twice. After that, you can respond like how you can do with the Mobile app.

The roadmap id scheduled for release in April CY2021 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=81113

Exactly! @MarkSlaysman I don't understand why we are able to reply when chatting in an actual team. I do know that the feature is available in the mobile app. 

@depwnz It's 2021 now and this simple and most important feature (i.e. "reply to message") is still no delivered!

@Positive_energy the question was how to reply to specific message in chat!

Not on Channel Posts!

@depwnz 

I suddenly started to see the reply to messages option in 1:1 discussion in teams. see below

Version 1.4.00.14623 (64-bit)-E. It was last updated on 6/2/2021.

MohamadJahmi_0-1623062465547.png

@MohamadJahmi Wow, very nice to see. I was hoping they'd implement this with the right click context menu that already exists for 'Copy', so it's nice and easy. after this amount of time, I'm just glad to see it!

but the thing that some of my coworkers are unable to see the "Reply" option.

My Teams was updated a day after yours, yet I am still on a lower version than you. :(

ANGleAUT_0-1623105880979.png

Still no "reply" option

Here is th problem
You can reply in IOS but not on desktop or android
Now it's 2021. I can't believe that an important app like teams doesn't have the reply feature:expressionless_face:

here is a great little hack I found for the time being.

Copy the message u want to "reply to", including your name!
Go to the message bar ( Type a new message ).
press shift + >.
paste it in.
Press enter twice.
write your reply.
Send!

Just no, this 'hack' makes me sad :(. I mean hack this, hack that, tip here tip there. MS just need to pull their finger out. Why on earth would I want to make 6 actions just to replace something that should have been released years ago!

@Positive_energy  Sorry that is not the answer.. you are referring specifically to opening a conversation in a "Channel". 

As per Microsoft.. the desktop/macOS version is nerfed as far as "reply" goes. It is available in the iOS version of the app where you do a Long press to get reply; unfortunately as with every large enterprise.. good features get rejected because a bully in a suit doesn't understand when a smart engineers explains essential features of a product! Microsoft is certainly not an exception in this regard!

I wish the Teams product group does all feature planning strictly over a teams call. They will automatically know the shortcomings!! Oh yes, have mock session of the same topic in Slack and Discord

It's July 10th, 2021 and I still cannot reply to message on the desktop version of Teams.
I repeat, CANNOT REPLY TO A MESSAGE in the second half of 2021.

incomprehensible

the company is moving to Slack and also recommending all peers to do the same
Sorry my friend, this is a feature you can do on Skype or any chat app like 10 years ago. Why do you have to get by like that on a communication tool for enterprise and project management? Utterly failure by development team.

Hello @depwnz   Teams now has the ability to reply to an individual chat message.  If you click on the three dots in the comment you want to reply to, you should see "reply" as an option.  It copies the original message and then posts the reply under it.  Happens in meeting chats too.

What OS are you using?  Since the "reply to message" feature started rolling out to tenants a few weeks ago, and you don't have it in the desktop app, then are you using the Mac version?  This feature is available in mobile today and it is in progress for the desktop apps.

I wonder if Mr Nadella or any PM or any staff at Microsoft ever have to reply to a message on desktop Teams.
I have to do that 200 times a day and it's been driving me crazy for 2 years.
I'm using Win 10 and updated Teams. Looks like the feature has not been rolled out to my laptop (or all of my colleagues') yet.

Besides, clicking on the dot --> select reply is too time-wasting. Can they just add a simply reply button to a text? There are just so many ways to implement this single most used and most important communication feature. I mean, everything we do on a chat app is replying to someone, isn't it.