SOLVED

Multiple Accounts in the Teams Desktop App

MVP

The iOS app for Teams allows me to be logged onto multiple accounts simultaneously, but not the desktop App.

Do we know when this will be coming?

Thanks,

Craig

72 Replies

@audunspello  just recognized, now you can use another account... but only a private account. That does not really make sense. Why would I use a private account in addition?

Seems that Microsoft does not care or is not capable of accomplishing that task. :facepalm:

Hello, multi-org. accounts are coming soon. I appreciate the personal account addition even though I don't use it that often. If you are an end-user perhaps this is the best way to stay updated https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17750851-i-want-to-use-multipl... (vote on it to stay updated).

Lucky you, it's after February here but I still don't have access to more than one account. Not that accessing a private account is any bit useful as you mentioned... Guess I'll keep using my multiple private browsers or switch clients away from Teams to the multitude of other options with this functionality.

Hi, did you read the reply above? It's about to be rolled out. And if you can't see the "add personal account" option you probably need to update your client (check for updates/signing out and in manually) as it's been available some time.

@ChristianBergstromyou seem to be an optimist and I would like to join you. That's why I've registered with UserVoice (but the number of votes hasn't updated yet, if that ever worked).

The roadmap reference says:

Thomas42_0-1615036043301.png

No idea which calendar they use, mine says it would be March now... Well, let's see. Unfortunately the feature has been announced and postponed several times. Would really like to understand what makes it so complicated or unimportant.

For whatever reason, the option to add another private account sometimes vanishes in my client. Maybe restart it or if it is not up to date, try search for updates as @ChristianBergstrom suggested.

@ChristianBergstrom 

As far as I can see from feature id 68845 (https://www.microsoft.com/nb-no/microsoft-365/roadmap?searchterms=68845&rtc=1&filters=&searchterms=6...), the feature they are currently rolling out is "support within Teams desktop to be able to add one personal account, along with one work/school account". I have not received this roll-out yet, even though I'm member of developer preview group. So I'm still left with only being able to log in with one account.

Do you have information about when Microsoft is planning to roll out support for fast switching between multiple org/business accounts?

This is a long awaited feature, since it is not optimal to use Teams for video conferencing via the browser (I use Firefox). Video conferencing via the browser does not show video of all participants, only the host. To experiece a normal video conference, I have to log in and out of the Teams desktop app multiple times a day, with 2FA and everything, just to switch between my different org/business-accounts.

Hey, the additional personal account is available and rolling out. This was something I was missing even though I searched for updates, signed out/in etc. so in the end I forced a version update to a later version manually. Multi-org. accounts are coming soon but haven’t heard any ETA yet.
Wait, you said earlier to me:
"Hi, did you read the reply above? It's about to be rolled out. And if you can't see the "add personal account" option you probably need to update your client (check for updates/signing out and in manually) as it's been available some time."
But now you say that searching for updates and signing in/out manually didn't work for you either, sounds like a feature (despite being partially ready) not being pushed to all is not really a feature release to me. I run updates regularly and have tried a login/logout without any success.
Either way a non "ETA" of a necessary feature that many others have managed (more than just 1 personal/1 business) isn't quite helpful for a suite of products geared towards business.
Guess we keep waiting, hopefully my clients don't get too used to the other software by then.
Well, the update process is a bit complicated. Our tenant had it rolled out as well. See this conversation and click on the ”best response” for more info.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/force-teams-desktop-client-update/m-p/2056566

@photon6 

Yes, seriously behind in their thinking; they don’t get the gig economy with people working for multiple customers, nor do they understand there has been this thing called a pandemic where we are all working from home. Even the new rollout due out last month will only allow one personal and one work account. These requests are not new and go back many years to Lync/Skype for Business.

@Craig Bryden 

How frustrating is it to be the one who CREATES a Teams meeting only to get a message when trying to connect to the Teams meeting that the meeting organizer (ME!!!) has not started the meeting yet.  Teams desktop app does not "spark joy"

My personal favourite is while setting up a Teams meeting and clicking "Meeting Options" which takes me to the browser and getting a "you cannot change the settings for this meeting because you are not the organizer"... yet I'm literally in the screen organizing the meeting...
Yup, I have since received the "Feb" update that wasn't there until March. Meaningless though as one personal and one business account solves nothing since I don't use Teams for personal communication and don't know anyone else who does... maybe students...? Either way, this is not just available on other software, it's literally available on the Microsoft Teams Mobile App just not on desktop. So they've figured it out, but only kinda.

@gorchase I agree.  I need multiple work email accounts -- one for a health system where I work, another for a fire department where I serve as medical director, and yet another where I am contracted for healthcare consulting.  Adding a personal account doesn't help me.

Teams Connect is going GA in November (pushed forward). Then there's no need to switch between tenants as the collaboration across orgs. will work seamlessly, as long as there are Azure Identities involved https://www.microsoft.com/en-ww/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=70766

@ChristianJBergstrom 

I don't really see this as a solution, Teams Connect seems like a way for organizers to add external accounts to chanels. It doesen't solve the problem of having 2 or more unrelated school or work accounts. 

I agree that this is an interesting option for future setup.

However, if I am member of multiple tenants and I need full access to a team/channel than this would not overcome the issue of switching or do I miss something here?
Fair (and good) question as guest access and federated access differs quite a bit. But I think it perhaps is a bit too early to say exactly how the federated access will look like.

In addition to this concept they have been talking about support for multiple work accounts for a long time, starting with adding the possibility for an additional personal account. You have probably already seen this one but adding anyway https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17750851-i-want-to-use-multipl...

So I wouldn't be surprised if that functionality rolls out before Teams Connect in November. Who knows, the roadmap is a bumpy one :)