SOLVED

Microsoft Teams Desktop on Mac Stuck in Login Loop

Copper Contributor

I recently changed from one MS Office 365 email/organization to another.  I've removed the "old" Office 365 account from everywhere I can find on my Mac, but when I launch Microsoft Teams - every time - it asks me to login with my "old" email address.  When I click sign in under a different account, it goes through - but Microsoft Teams just gets stuck in the same loop.  How can I fix this so I can use the desktop app with my new email/organization?

66 Replies
This worked for me - thanks! I was getting very frustrated and removed as many cache files and keychain entries as I could find - but it wasn't until I deleted that Microsoft Application Support file that I could finally close TEAMS and login with a new username. Thanks!

@Heiko1410 

this seems to be an issue with Teams not supporting multiple outlook accounts.

Microsoft really need to address this, other apps like Google Meet work fine, it’s becoming a major turn off for many Mac users now.

FWIW, the firs suggestion worked for me.

Here were the steps I took:
1) I made sure to remove Teams from login items so it did not auto-start and disabled background operations.
2) I restarted macos.
3) Renamed $HOME//Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams to $HOME//Library/Application Support/Microsoft/old_Teams
4) Started Teams
5) When it asked if it wanted to login with my default credential, I chose the link at the bottom left for the alternate method which gave me the ability to type in my credentials and authenticate manually.
6) That allowed me in and everything seems okay.

As a final test, I also explicitly Quit (but did not sign out) and restarted Teams, and it connected me back automatically without any prompts.

Thanks for the tip!

FYI: I'm on Ventura 13.6 on an M2 Pro-based MacBook Pro. Teams 1.6.00.11156
Just encountered this same loop of never ending login prompts. I followed the steps above and the issue has resolved itself. Thank @ARBattase, thank you for sharing.
I got stuck in this situation and, to fix, I removed the Teams folder from Application Support. This worked but after some days, the same thing happens - I've probably deleted my Teams folder a dozen times now over the last few months. What I can't fathom is where Teams is getting my old account name from (on first launch after deleting the Teams folder from Application Support, the bad old account is always shown at the top of the list under "Pick an account to continue"). After reading these posts I attempted removing the Identities Cache from Keychain Access but it won't delete. I'm on MacOS Sonoma 14.1 (though the problem started when I was on Ventura - OS upgrade clearly hasn't helped either).
I FIXED IT!

I use outlook for my new organization. I created a teams meeting in my outlook calendar. I made sure Teams was closed on my mac. I think clicked to "join the teams meeting" from outlook and it prompted Teams to open. It had a mild window flicker freak out but it then prompted me to "join the meeting" and before clicking "join" in the pop up box I saw it had an option to "sign in," I clicked that and it then brought me back to the full organizational sign in and I was able to sign in with my new org. I tried so many things to try but this was the only think that kicked it out of the old org sign in window.