SOLVED

Invitations to unlicensed members

Copper Contributor

Hi guys, I hope everyone is well. Here at the company we do not use Teams as the main chat platform but some of our customers do. We have Teams Essentials licenses applied for some managers but eventually there is a need to add guests (on our side) to Teams groups managed by our customers.

As a result, the following question arises:

* Do I necessarily need to add a license to the user on my side for them to participate as a guest in the customer's Teams group?

* Could this user be invited to the group by the manager of our company who is already in this customer's Teams group?

* Is there a need for our customer to create a guest account in Azure AD to invite the user on our unlicensed side and with that he join the group?

Thank You! And sorry for my bad english..

2 Replies
best response confirmed by ESSS_Coelho (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hello,

* Do I necessarily need to add a license to the user on my side for them to participate as a guest in the customer's Teams group?
Ans. In case the user wants to invite external guest users they need to have the Teams Licenses.

* Could this user be invited to the group by the manager of our company who is already in this customer's Teams group?
Ans. Yes

* Is there a need for our customer to create a guest account in Azure AD to invite the user on our unlicensed side and with that he join the group?
Ans. If the customer needs to invite the unlicensed users of your org to the their Tenant then Yes.

With Regards,
Satish U
Hi Satish! Thanks for your answers. I understand that my users don't need a license to join a Microsoft Teams group as guests, as long as they don't need to invite others to this group.

Finally, our users informed that they would need to chat with the customer (without using groups) and that's why we added licenses for them.

About creating guests in my AzureAD for users outside the organization... this was a long-standing doubt. One problem we have right now would be listing users in AzureAD through our onpremise environment. During a listing of active users, both guest users and users from our domain are shown. Would it be possible to put these guest users in an isolated OU so that they do not appear in the list of users in my domain?

Thanks a lot for the help!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ESSS_Coelho (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hello,

Ans. In case the user wants to invite external guest users they need to have the Teams Licenses.

Ans. Yes

Ans. If the customer needs to invite the unlicensed users of your org to the their Tenant then Yes.

With Regards,
Satish U

View solution in original post